Deus EX leaked build discussion

Soldato
I think it's really good. I will preorder this on the strength of what i've seen of it.

Graphics may not have all the latest whizzbang engine features to make you feel justified in having some monster rig, but I for one think it's nice to have a solid 60fps all the way through. The art direction itself is great, so it looks fine. Controls are a little wonky still, switched to using a pad but that's not the end of the world.

Stealth is good, on a par with one of the earlier Splinter Cells or Thief. Haven't tried frontal assaults.

Very atmospheric, it's also more open than I expected. You have a map with multiple paths through, and an objective to get to. What happens in between is down to you.

I never played Deus Ex when it was current so can't be objective to compare them. However I did play System Shock 2 and the original Thief games when they were the latest / greatest and it compares reasonably well against those.

Associate
I like some of the little touches, such as being able to scan the QR codes on the sides of crates with your 'phone or whatever.

I think this game is a winner.

Soldato
I think it's really good. I will preorder this on the strength of what i've seen of it.

Graphics may not have all the latest whizzbang engine features to make you feel justified in having some monster rig, but I for one think it's nice to have a solid 60fps all the way through. The art direction itself is great, so it looks fine. Controls are a little wonky still, switched to using a pad but that's not the end of the world.

Stealth is good, on a par with one of the earlier Splinter Cells or Thief. Haven't tried frontal assaults.

Very atmospheric, it's also more open than I expected. You have a map with multiple paths through, and an objective to get to. What happens in between is down to you.

I never played Deus Ex when it was current so can't be objective to compare them. However I did play System Shock 2 and the original Thief games when they were the latest / greatest and it compares reasonably well against those.

Everything you've said especially the comparisons gives me back a little more hope for this game

Soldato
Does that include the part where your health regenerates so you don't have to face the consequences of failing?

If you are losing health you've failed anyway, it drops frighteningly fast. It acts more like a rechargeable shield, the resource you have to manage is your energy - which powers all of your abilities and does not recharge.

Caporegime
recharging health is just the future, makes for more enjoyable combat and less irritating back tracking or inventory management.

Faced with the option of having to traipse back through the level looking through health packs at the end of a fight or simply moving onto the next fight....I'll take the latter please.

Soldato
I must've missed the part in Deus Ex where I ever needed to traipse back through levels looking for health packs. I probably did take the odd detour to a medical bot now and then as I couldn't be bothered to use medkits or Regeneration but that was out of choice not necessity.

Perhaps you are 1 of those crap players regenerating health is aimed at then.

Soldato
I must've missed the part in Deus Ex where I ever needed to traipse back through levels looking for health packs. I probably did take the odd detour to a medical bot now and then as I couldn't be bothered to use medkits or Regeneration but that was out of choice not necessity.

You're going to start insulting people because you're sour about it? :confused: Wow...

I've never been bothered by having to collect health pick-ups, most games cough it up in more than an abundance for it not to be an issue running out.

Whether I can only take a few hits and regenerate, or take a lot and have to heal manually, makes no difference to me. I'm not going to play any more or less cautiously.

As for crap players... I've sometimes found surviving the hardest difficulty on most games with regeneration where you get split with a single shot, much harder than the type where you can horde healing items to grit out a hard fight.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Wow you really are just a hater aren't you...

Which bit of my example implied that I'm crap?

It just removes a step that isn't needed, we don't have to manually reload our guns from ammo in our backpacks and no-one complains about that.

Soldato
You're going to start insulting people because you're sour about it? :confused: Wow...

I've never been bothered by having to collect health pick-ups, most games cough it up in more than an abundance for it not to be an issue running out.

Whether I can only take a few hits and regenerate, or take a lot and have to heal manually, makes no difference to me. I'm not going to play any more or less cautiously.

As for crap players... I've sometimes found surviving the hardest difficulty on most games with regeneration where you get split with a single shot, much harder than the type where you can horde healing items to grit out a hard fight.

Completely different styles of game. Just because you get your head blown off for being out of cover for 1 second doesn't make a game hard, its more likely to make it downright frustrating.

No longer have to worry about healing your injured limbs after you messed up in combat.

Associate
And all old ideas are rubbish; all newer ideas are better, right?

So "dated" = crap, and "latest fad" = awesome?

Not really, just that pretty much every game has regening health now and it works. Its no big deal either way in my eyes.

And the game is great btw, I need to play more though :p

Back
Top Bottom