Deus EX leaked build discussion

Caporegime
So fro monly a quick bit of playing, will update later

Textures/gfx, tbh quite like the style the textures seems to be designed to look very much like their concept art (like border lands was but a different style) that weird smooth painted look that didn't look this worldly, meant to be disconcerting and show you how much the world has changed rather than just very poor textures, they seem decent res you can read text on most bits of "junk".

But they're not great in places and either they're the next one down from top or they've been designed for 720p resolution.

I think anyone pinning hopes on "but it's a pre release build the textures will be much better at release" will be disappointed.

Obviusly AAwill be i nthe final game and that'll make things a lot better.

Character models and thier textures though seem off more console like, hopefully they'll improve and this is just a lower gfx setting but not sure.

FMV's all seem pretty low res and blocky and are either low space place holders or the console versions, but as it's SE i'd expect them to be done in full hd.

Enemy AI seems retarded to put it simply, doubt that will change by release.

Movement feels clunky and like it should be done on game pad to make sense.

Aiming/mouse control also feels very very strange, kinda like the emulating a joystick console ports.

Game play: combat seems a bit meh with the poor ai, but haven't played enough to really comment on that atm.

Seems pretty good hopefully the story is good and the dialogue options etc, will find that out when i play it a bit more.

But i very much doubt the player movement will be changed it seems a design choic and it'll be staying.

Mouse movement, hopefully the backlash over that gets them to go back and do it properly for release but again i doubt it.

Caporegime
OP
m pretty low res and blocky and are either low space place holders or the console versions, but as it's SE i'd expect them to be done in full hd..

SE are only the publisher
Developer(s) Eidos Montreal, Nixxes Software (PC)

Engine and tools:
Crystal Dynamics, Eidos Montreal, Nixxes Software

Eidos officially became part of Square Enix on 22 April 2009. Following a reorganization of the company, Eidos was merged with Square Enix's European operations into Square Enix Europe. The Eidos Interactive brand is currently used as a label for games developed by former Eidos-owned developers
i guess your half right :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
If SE is involved even only as the pub the FMV's should be full 1080p minimum :p

If not then they're not the SE i remember :p

Seriously though, if the fmv's quality isn't improved before release it'll be a let down and definitely point towards a console game.

I do definitely like the art style some of the text aren't great but most are designed to look like the concept art paintings they put out a long time back and do the job well hopefully a higher setting will be available for release for those of use with monitors >720p.

ATM though enemy AI and controls are my main isues, lets face it AI isn't going to be changed much, but hopefully the controls will be fixed.

Haven't got far enough to comment on dialogue yet but hope that measures up (will post back when i do)

Augs (just from reading the menu on them) however sound good.

Really hope they fix controls though, really.

Really.

Caporegime
after playing a bit more the enemies are blind (not as blind as the original deus ex but stil blind enough you can do hilarious out in the open stealth)

the starting amps are pretty good fair few different ways to get around (been doing stealth) a few things are a bit "in your face" obvious but it is the start so to be expected.

dialogue is a bit meh, and organised on some weird 4 way wheel that just seems odd till you realise it's mapped to wasd and designed for a joypad.

Over all pretty decent so far, but does feel strongly like Mass effect:Deus ex edition.

I'd say worth a buy but wait till it's sub £20

Soldato
First impressions... (aside from the introduction which is basically Inspector Gadget ><)

The mouse movement is TERRIBLE. Its so bad it almost puts Dead Space to shame.

Tutorials are useless, everything showcases how to do it with a gamepad.

The controls are so obviously designed for a pad. Side mouse buttons can't be assigned so I can't put cover as mouse 4. Tap (button) and Hold (button) are used for practically everything. Augmentations that you activate have basically been condensed into 4 (could it be because a controller D-pad has 4 directions I wonder...).

Some of the passive augs sound good for enhancing a particular style, but it really comes down to how many praxis point you can get for upgrading.

They get kudos for the reference to Deus Ex right at the start. The passcode for the elevator just happens to be the same as the Satcom outside Unatco HQ on Liberty Island.

It basically screams console port. I definitely wouldn't pre-order it, I've just done the first actual fight outside the warehouse (a few times for the fun of it) and I just can't bring myself to continue the mouse movement is that bad.

Soldato
First impressions... (aside from the introduction which is basically Inspector Gadget ><)

The mouse movement is TERRIBLE. Its so bad it almost puts Dead Space to shame.

Tutorials are useless, everything showcases how to do it with a gamepad.

The controls are so obviously designed for a pad. Side mouse buttons can't be assigned so I can't put cover as mouse 4. Tap (button) and Hold (button) are used for practically everything. Augmentations that you activate have basically been condensed into 4 (could it be because a controller D-pad has 4 directions I wonder...).

Some of the passive augs sound good for enhancing a particular style, but it really comes down to how many praxis point you can get for upgrading.

They get kudos for the reference to Deus Ex right at the start. The passcode for the elevator just happens to be the same as the Satcom outside Unatco HQ on Liberty Island.

It basically screams console port. I definitely wouldn't pre-order it, I've just done the first actual fight outside the warehouse (a few times for the fun of it) and I just can't bring myself to continue the mouse movement is that bad.

It plays fine with a pad. It's months from release, and it makes sense that they focus on the controls that are common to all platforms. The days of PC exclusives are over. (Except for niche genres, first person action games not being one of them)

Soldato
Well unfortunately its a PC FPS and if it plays better with a pad than a mouse/keyboard then its nothing but a ****ty console port.

Theres no way to remap these functions as far as I can tell so you're basically stuck with tap vs hold for practically everything. But even if that is bearable it doesn't explain why the mouse movement is absolutely diabolical. 4 augs is fair enough, it has to be compatability for all, but they've obviously not put any effort into the pc version of a game that was supposed to be pc exclusive initially.

Soldato
Is this a months old build?

I was under the impression that the whole PC controls and UI were being focused on separately.

Unsurprisingly unfinished game is unfinished.

Yes its unfinished, though what's unfinished in there eyes is anyones guess.

And really they seem to throwing around quite a few statements about how they're paying close attention to the PC version. End of the day this is a preview build on the pc, and from this preview I can safely say I wouldn't put my wallet on the line and pre-order it. If the controls are proven to be decent post-release then I can reconsider it in the future, unless there is an actual demo version coming that will showcase it before then.

Associate
DE1 is one of my top games and I never bothered with DE2 after about 20 minutes on it.

Having finished the beta it is a definate GOTY contender. There is something wrong with mouse movement and the interface is obviously consolified but that doesnt change the fact that otherwise the dialogue, gameplay and story is really good. The cover system and takedowns arent really even that bad although the lack of melee is. Is a definate buy for me.

Caporegime
How about we wait until the end of the year before announcing stuff is definitely GOTY? Especially when they're unreleased titles like BF3 :confused:

Portal 2 is my goty so far though.

Back
Top Bottom