Aego M

Soldato
I have some 6.1 creative unknown speakers which I currently use as 2.1 speakers.

I also have an audigy 4 sound card.

Would I notice the difference from upgrading to Aego Ms?

I mainly game/watch TV.

I am thinking yes maybe? But I need a better sound card?

Permabanned
Aegos are pretty decent for what they are, probably significantly better than the creatives. Sound-card wise, I have the Asus Xonar Essence STX and frankly you can't go wrong with one in my opinion.

Associate
I'd say so. I went from a set (well actually 2 with some bodge wiring...) of Creative Inspire 5500 5.1 to the Aego M's about 2 years ago and haven't looked back since.

They're a very good choice for the middle ground between 'PC' speakers and HiFi.

Soldato
OP
For £80 is it possible to get bookshelf speakers and and amp that would compete?

Is it possible to get a better quality sound for around £100-120.

All second hand of course.

Last edited:
Associate
I'd think it would be difficult, becuase the value of speakers doesn't depreciate much.. Having a set like the Aego's makes transportation easier too..

Soldato
OP
I don't really want studio montiors or anything because I never ever master music or anything.

Just some nice bookshelf speakers and a stereo amp?

Soldato
I'd grab 2nd hand stereo amp and some bookshelf speakers over the Aego's every time. Aego's are certainly great 2.1 speakers, and would be better than buying new amp and speakers. For £120 though, you can get a CA A1 amp for about £50. £70 can get you a decent pair of speakers. For music, 2.1 just isn't as good as some decent size 2.0 speakers IMO.

Permabanned
For £80 is it possible to get bookshelf speakers and and amp that would compete?

Is it possible to get a better quality sound for around £100-120.

All second hand of course.

A dedicated Stereo Amp and bookshelf speakers would do more than compete, they would be superior, depending on the quality of the speakers.

I use a Cambridge Audio Topaz AM5 amp with Gale Silver Monitors for my PC and they incidentally replaced the Aego M's, the Speaker/Amp set up is far superior.

Soldato
Look for an amp that lets you add a sub later. Bookshelf speakers will sound much better in the mids and highs than the Aego M, but won't have the "oomph" in the bass a dedicated sub provides. Most usually roll off around 60Hz.

I upgraded my Aego M to some s/h Mission M72s, powered by a NAD C315BEE. I then added a BK Gemini sub later. The Aego's are now on PS3 duty.

Soldato
You don't need a amp with a sub connection. You will pay more for an amp with one, which probably isn't ideal when £120 for speakers + amp is the budget. Better to get a sub with high level inputs, so any amp can be used.

Soldato
I don't really want studio montiors or anything because I never ever master music or anything.

Just some nice bookshelf speakers and a stereo amp?

Some hifi speakers are good enough to use as monitors and some monitors sound good as hifi speakers. A good speaker is a good speaker. Monitors usually have the advantage of being designed to be listened to from closer distances than hifi speakers though, due to the driver placement. Of course having the amp built in takes up less desk space too...

Soldato
I'd go for the Edifier's 2.0 set if you want some reasonably priced speakers. I much prefer them to the Aego M's.
This is coming from someone who's owned both. :)

Back
Top Bottom