Is this right, or do I need to RMA?

Associate
Hey guys,

I got myself a sandy bridge setup a few months ago and all was well (ignoring the chipset issue!). However I encountered a few issues which have confused me.

I occasionally get these lockups where everything freezes and I have to hold the power button in, however these freezes occur when I am doing anything (middle of a game, just on the desktop etc.)

I've tried running memtest and orthos and both seem to run no problems.

One caveat though.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-183-OC

The above is the memory I purchased. As I poked my way through the bios I noticed something odd. One of the DIMMs has a maximum frequency of 1333mhz. No problems there. However the other one has a maximum frequency of 1066mhz.. eh?.. CPU-Z gives the same story, the DIMMs have different maximum frequencies and timings. Now the system defaults to 1066mhz so theoritically they should work fine, but I'm beginning to suspect that this difference may be the cause for my lockups.

One surefire way to lock the system up is to convert video, and somewhere along the line it will freeze. I've tried converting several of my videos and sure enough it always freezes. Swapping the DIMMs and trying to convert a movie gives the same results. I am trying with the DIMM that reports 1333mhz maximum at the moment (on it's own) to see if it manages to get through the video, if it does I'll try a few more videos.

In any case I'm wondering if it would be worth RMA'ing over the fact that the maximum frequencies and timings of the DIMMs are different and that I paid for 1333mhz memory and have been sold half short.

Also, anyone know if OCuk will directly replace them for me at the store or will I have to wait for a full RMA?

Thanks in advance ^.^

Caporegime
They're supposed to be a matched pair.

If you've actually been sent sticks with 2 different specifications I'd send them back. They've been mis-sold if nothing else.

If you look at the SPD tab in CPU-Z, and then select each stick, it will give you the part number. They should be the same.

Associate
They're supposed to be a matched pair.

If you've actually been sent sticks with 2 different specifications I'd send them back. They've been mis-sold if nothing else.

If you look at the SPD tab in CPU-Z, and then select each stick, it will give you the part number. They should be the same.

This. If they're different part numbers, send them back. Do they run fine @ 1066MHz? Are timings etc the same? Volts?

Associate
OP
UPDATE:

Hey guys,

Just a quick update - The sticks were different voltages and timings (as per the sticker on them, CPU-Z and the bios).

Went in to the store and spoke to the guy behind the counter, had no problems checking and then swapping them out. So far so good - the new sticks report exactly the same thing in CPU-Z and the motherboard is now defaulting to 1333MHz without any issues booting up.

Also got my sandy bridge B2 motherboard swapped out for a B3 one instantly ^.^

Good service guys!

And thanks for your advice Surveyor.

Caporegime
UPDATE:

Hey guys,

Just a quick update - The sticks were different voltages and timings (as per the sticker on them, CPU-Z and the bios).

Went in to the store and spoke to the guy behind the counter, had no problems checking and then swapping them out. So far so good - the new sticks report exactly the same thing in CPU-Z and the motherboard is now defaulting to 1333MHz without any issues booting up.

Also got my sandy bridge B2 motherboard swapped out for a B3 one instantly ^.^

Good service guys!

And thanks for your advice Surveyor.

No problem.

Hopefully you can enjoy your system without any problems now.

Soldato
Its OCZ memory, QC is lacking to say the least :D Their memory has been off my shopping list since early/mid DDR2 days and should've been since their PC166 days, high failure rate and probably 50/50 chance of running advertised speeds, keep giving them chance after chance but always dissapointed, have had the same issue you did with mismatched modules sold as a kit etc.. Are they still in the memory game?

Associate
Hey guys,

I got myself a sandy bridge setup a few months ago and all was well (ignoring the chipset issue!). However I encountered a few issues which have confused me.

I occasionally get these lockups where everything freezes and I have to hold the power button in, however these freezes occur when I am doing anything (middle of a game, just on the desktop etc.)

I've tried running memtest and orthos and both seem to run no problems.

One caveat though.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-183-OC

The above is the memory I purchased. As I poked my way through the bios I noticed something odd. One of the DIMMs has a maximum frequency of 1333mhz. No problems there. However the other one has a maximum frequency of 1066mhz.. eh?.. CPU-Z gives the same story, the DIMMs have different maximum frequencies and timings. Now the system defaults to 1066mhz so theoritically they should work fine, but I'm beginning to suspect that this difference may be the cause for my lockups.

One surefire way to lock the system up is to convert video, and somewhere along the line it will freeze. I've tried converting several of my videos and sure enough it always freezes. Swapping the DIMMs and trying to convert a movie gives the same results. I am trying with the DIMM that reports 1333mhz maximum at the moment (on it's own) to see if it manages to get through the video, if it does I'll try a few more videos.

In any case I'm wondering if it would be worth RMA'ing over the fact that the maximum frequencies and timings of the DIMMs are different and that I paid for 1333mhz memory and have been sold half short.

Also, anyone know if OCuk will directly replace them for me at the store or will I have to wait for a full RMA?

Thanks in advance ^.^

i got exactly the same problem when i built my pc. it was the ram. ive been running on one stick since and that fixed it. id return the ram

Back
Top Bottom