What do you guys think to the way I play my PC games?

Associate
Hi guys,

So my PC was built first and foremost to be a gaming PC, if you turn on my PC (Its left on mostly anyway) you will see that all i have on there are of course my drivers and then Steam. Thats it, nothing more.. no office, no zip programmes; nothing except Steam and the games I have installed on Steam.

Heres my question though, I have never been a huge fan of the sitting up right, keyboard & mouse type of play, not that I have anything against it, I am just more of the relax and play type of guy so the way I play my games is I have an HDMI cable connected from my PC to my 40" TV and I use a 360 controller to play ALL of my games on the couch/bed whatever. I do this because the games tend to look better on PC and there fore may play a little better and the games tend to be much cheaper as well. So in other words, my PC is pretty much like a console, I just click a game on steam and play.

So my question is what do you guys think of this? Do you think I am being silly and should just stick to console gamings or do you think its a fairly smart idea? I enjoy the way I use my PC but if enough people think that maybe I am being silly and aren't getting the most out of the machine then of course feel free to say : )

Thanks guys, and take care.

Sidenote: Be nice to know that I am not the only one : ) !!

Soldato
Whatever rocks your boat. It's your choice personally. I'm no game expert. However, I wouldn't want to play FPS games with a joypad. It's just wrong and weird. Racing games, football games, basketball etc are all fine for the joypad and the telly however.

I find you see a lot more detail sitting in front of a 1920x1200 monitor, literally 30 inches away. Than you do on a stretched out 40 inch 1080p telly. It's also more immersive being right in front of it.

Just my opinion anyway.

Soldato
The only thing I would say is that playing on a PC through a TV is a bit of a waste as you're missing out on a lot of detail but if thtas how your boat floats then get on with it and enjoy

Associate
You are at a disadvantage playing PC games with a controller. Keyboard and mouse is a lot faster paced then console games. If you pref playing with a controller, why not just play console?

But all to their own, do as you like.

Soldato
I'm not sure if I'd bother playing on my TV rather than my monitor. My TV is in a spot where it's comfortable to watch TV and video but not ideal for playing games, although I've never tried.

Associate
i do this allot, with like racing games, street fighter iv, football games, some rpgs like the witcher 2 etc and anything else i can play with a controller. the only thing is play with keyboard/mouse really is multiplayer fps and mmorpgs and rpgs where you really need a keyboard like dragon age. that way you get the best of both worlds, comfortable couch like a console but the high resolution, frame rate, better textures etc of the pc.
My mate brought round super street fighter iv on the xbox for the extra characteres and gfx difference was really noticable. Street fighter iv on pc looks way better. im looking forward to arcade edition so i get all the new characters and the better pc gfx

Associate
Seems a bit wasteful of a PC to just use it for gaming, i'm sure you at least browse on it?

I went through the same, spent most of my gaming life at a desk and just rage quit it one day and went out to buy a 32 HD TV, Floor standing speakers and an A/V unit. Sit back on the bed and do the same with so much more comfort.

I can see where you're coming from.

Associate
It's important not to sit too low in comparison to the desk / screen, which causes some people to arch their necks while using a computer.:(

It's reccomended that your eyes be the same height or in line the top bezel of your LCD monitor. This will ensure that your neck is not arching to compensate for sitting too low.

A good height adjustable chair is worth more than the risk of pain through prolonged gaming in an awkard posture..

Everyone is different tho.. ;)

If you only gonna be on the couch tho,,,,then yes you will be console gaming mainly or limited to.

Last edited:
Associate
Perfectly fine. I appreciate both styles of play. The thing about PC gaming, unlike the console toys, is that you can choose the way you play. It's completely up to you, and the hardware offers you enough flexibility to achieve this.

Back
Top Bottom