OS X Lion family pack?

Permabanned
From what I've seen I would hardly call Lion a major update. Not by a long shot.

If anything Snow Leopard should have costed more, didn't they do a lot of optimising under the hood or am I wrong? Lion just looks to have iOS'd up OS X a bit and not a whole lot more. There's some cool stuff, but it's not major.

Soldato
Looks ok I guess, some things I dont like with Lion for instance the hiding scrollbars or the getting rid of the little white dot under open apps.

Ok i know i can turn these things off/on but why change them?

Also still waiting to here what apple will do about putting it onto a disc, what happens if you have to replace the HDD, do i have to install 10.6 then 10.7 seems retarded if you ask me.

Also what about all those still on 10.4 and 10.5?

Seems Apple not really thought this through see intent on merging desltop and mobiles as quick as they can.

Kimbie

Associate
From what I've seen I would hardly call Lion a major update. Not by a long shot.

If anything Snow Leopard should have costed more, didn't they do a lot of optimising under the hood or am I wrong? Lion just looks to have iOS'd up OS X a bit and not a whole lot more. There's some cool stuff, but it's not major.

Snow Leopard was more an under the hood update. Lion seems to be an under the hood update with some new UI.

I think the days of major updates to desktop OS's are over.

Soldato
Its a good price, that's for sure.

Especially considering the upgrade list:

http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/whats-new/features.html

:eek:

To be fair iv never upgraded my main PC to mac due to the cost, but the software is SO good now, its really difficult to ignore, my unibody mac book is great, but im still PC with my 6core 4ghz, 16gb ram setup, I do a lot of photography and video work so unfort its needed, I cannot afford a mac of that spec :(

Last edited:
Soldato
I haz a question:

On my MacBook Pro I recently corrupted the OS. Wouldn't boot at all. Booted it off the Snow Leopard DVD and tried some terminal commands, and permission repairs. Was still corrupted. So I formatted the HDD and did a clean install off the Snow Leopard DVD.
How does one do this with a download only and install over the top OS?

Soldato
Maybe when you complete the upgrade it will give you the opportunity to create some bootable media? We'll just have to wait and see.

To be honest when it comes to operating systems I'm not a fan of any kind of in place upgrade so it's put me right off really even if it is cheap.

Soldato
Maybe when you complete the upgrade it will give you the opportunity to create some bootable media? We'll just have to wait and see.

To be honest when it comes to operating systems I'm not a fan of any kind of in place upgrade so it's put me right off really even if it is cheap.

As others have said, I highly doubt this will be the case. What if a hdd fails? It sounds distinctly un-Apple-like to say you'd have to spend an hour or so installing SL (it takes longer than any OS I know, Linux takes <5 mins, Win7 not much longer) to then have to do an in-place upgrade to Lion again. Far more likely that there'd be a DMG or similar to burn your own media.

Permabanned
Plus as good as OS X is I still have to say I'm quite wary over doing upgrades over clean installs. In this case though it doesn't seem like much is changing under the hood, so I'm pretty comfortable just upgrading.

Upgrading Windows 98 to XP sucked though, as did Vista to 7, it always felt like something was askew.

Caporegime
Plus as good as OS X is I still have to say I'm quite wary over doing upgrades over clean installs. In this case though it doesn't seem like much is changing under the hood, so I'm pretty comfortable just upgrading.

Upgrading Windows 98 to XP sucked though, as did Vista to 7, it always felt like something was askew.

good job that the way OSX upgrades is completely different to windows then.

When i "upgraded" to Snow Leopard, it managed to free up around 8gb extra disk space and required absolutely no input. Just enter your username and password and off it goes.

When has a windows upgrade ever been anything like that ?

Permabanned
good job that the way OSX upgrades is completely different to windows then.

When i "upgraded" to Snow Leopard, it managed to free up around 8gb extra disk space and required absolutely no input. Just enter your username and password and off it goes.

When has a windows upgrade ever been anything like that ?

I don't think they have, although to be honest it doesn't bother me, I understand Microsoft want you to enter a serial and all as it can combat piracy just a little bit. While it's cool Apple are more lax about that stuff it's more important for Microsoft, they have the largest market share so will want to try and prevent piracy a bit.

The simplicity is cool but really I'm not fussed if I have to press next a few times and enter my name and serial. Doesn't scream hassle to me really.

Caporegime
Agreed.

The freeing of the disk space and the lack of any remnants of the old OS was what impressed me the most.

You'd never have guessed it was an "upgrade" installation.

Soldato
That's down to the file structure. No legacy rubbish from the 90s cluttering up the system folder. Everything has it's place.

The archive and re-install feature always impressed me. Clearing out the PPC system code was also a major step.

Associate
Will there be a family pack for Lion like the previous generations?

At the keynote last night they said that if you sign in onto the same account on the app store you can re-download at no added costs, there was nothing said about how many machines it could be installed, my guess is infinite.

But i'm not sure.

Back
Top Bottom