Was overclockin gmy CPU really this easy>?

Permabanned
Or I doen it wrong?

I pressed delete at boot to bios. I have ASUS g31 board and 2.13 Intel 2. 6400.

So, i looke around options and found CPU overclok thing. speed was set at auto, I changed to manual and i showed 266 I changed it to 296. pressed f10 to save and quit.

Have I now overclocked my CPU?

lol pretty simple?

There was option to change voltages also but I never touch them

Soldato
You have overclocked it. Well done :p

I'd suggest you now test it by running something like Prime95 for at least 8 hours and running a game.

I'd be surprised if you could get away with that kind of fsb jump without a slight voltage increase.

Associate
Yes. You have successfully overclocked your CPU. However, you might find that you get system crashes or the occasional BSoD. If this happens, just raise the voltage by one notch and it should solve it.

Download a program like CoreTemp to make sure your temperatures are under control. If they get too high, then you may end up frying your CPU. This can be prevented however by purchasing a better cooling solution.

Permabanned
OP
So I should raise my voltage from 1.5 to 1.6 or 1.7? Does this have any negative side effects?

Also, how fast can I make my CPU on the stock fan/cooler. I went from 266 to 296 just to test and BFBC2 worked fine just now and slight increase in FPS.

How fast would you say I can go? 320? etc...? And How high can I make the voltage with no side effects.

Rasie voltages by only 0.1?

Permabanned
It's trial and error tbh. Stability with manageable temperatures is all you need so you just go as high as you can until you don't get one of those things.

Associate
So I should raise my voltage from 1.5 to 1.6 or 1.7? Does this have any negative side effects?

Also, how fast can I make my CPU on the stock fan/cooler. I went from 266 to 296 just to test and BFBC2 worked fine just now and slight increase in FPS.

How fast would you say I can go? 320? etc...? And How high can I make the voltage with no side effects.

Rasie voltages by only 0.1?

Raise it by 0.01v each time dont go 0.1v higher its overkill for the FSB jump you've shown

Permabanned
OP
It's trial and error tbh. Stability with manageable temperatures is all you need so you just go as high as you can until you don't get one of those things.

well I mean it goes up to 800 lol...

But what benefits am I getting gaming wise by increasing speed? Will it increase my FPS when more action on screen?

Associate
i suggest you google for guides on how to overclock your specific cpu,

stock coolers aren't much good for overclocking and always keep the voltage within the maximum safe voltage for you particular cpu(max voltage and temp info should be on amd or intels website for your cpu, depending on what processer you have)

Permabanned
OP
Raise it by 0.01v each time dont go 0.1v higher its overkill for the FSB jump you've shown

There is 3 different voltages in BIOS

2 are set Auto

1 is set 1.5 and has option only 1.5 or 1.6

the ones that are set auto I can increase by 0.01 BUT it doesnt say what temp they are currently at!! It just syas auto and range is like 1.5-2.8 or soemthing like that?

Anyway I bumped up my CPU to 309 lol...temps was 37C I think on CPU in Bios

Soldato
I can beat that. I bought a second hand board from ocuk. First time I booted it it defaulted to an overclock bios profile and went to 4ghz instead 2.66

I didnt have time to stop it, loaded into windows and worked fine since.
Not very clever really since the volts could have been set too high for water cooling or something but I went back checked it and nothing is unreasonable

Anyway I went from 266 to 309. What does this mean in terms off gaming as that is all im interested in

It'll run faster on cpu parts of a game. GTA4 uses cpu and BC2 also

Conroe is decent cpu but at some point it will need more voltage or it might be unstable but if it works it works. You might find it resets for no good reason, take any changes slow and see what happens. Also get coretemp to monitor temps

Risk now would be losing a file or too if it resets, backup anything vital

Last edited:
Soldato
If he cant alter volts he cant really do much damage except lose a few files on a crash. Steam would repair itself on that regard, etc

In theory that could harm windows itself but usually it recovers especially modern versions

Conroe chips will go upto 80c before its a problem, done that plenty. It is too much voltage which causes the damage

Permabanned
OP
I can beat that. I bought a second hand board from ocuk. First time I booted it it defaulted to an overclock bios profile and went to 4ghz instead 2.66

I didnt have time to stop it, loaded into windows and worked fine since.
Not very clever really since the volts could have been set too high for water cooling or something but I went back checked it and nothing is unreasonable

It'll run faster on cpu parts of a game. GTA4 uses cpu and BC2 also

Conroe is decent cpu but at some point it will need more voltage or it might be unstable but if it works it works. You might find it resets for no good reason, take any changes slow and see what happens. Also get coretemp to monitor temps

Risk now would be losing a file or too if it resets, backup anything vital

What parts off video game use CPU?

Is this when there is a lot off action on screen at same time it requires more CPU?

So eg...in BFBC2 if there is explosion + destructing building+ tanks+ several enemies this uses a lot of CPU?!?!

Whereas sniping alone at back off map uses less CPU?!?

As I notice more action = less FPS,,,,this is due to CPU?!?! Or also GPU and RAM?

Permabanned
OP
Ok so my temps are cor 1 core 2 33-35 C at brwosing web etc...after 20mins BFBC2 they were 42-45 C, they reached a high of 51C

This is my CPU from 266 to 309....This is ok? What temps are max to not go over? Is 51C high and damaging?

Mayeb I should bump up to like 340? or soemthing?

Soldato
With the fsb at 309 you're running at ~2.47GHz, 340 (2.72GHz) is going to be around the limit of what you'll get I should think. Give it a go though.

As long as your temps don't go any higher than 70/80C under load using something like IBT then you're fine. If the system crashed or fails to boot then lower the FSB slightly.

Back
Top Bottom