Meh... Vauxhalls

Associate
i dunno how you deal with mechanical problems but most the time me and my dad DIY. so when things go wrong having good access is always a good sign. hence well laid out engine bays.

but which car isnt a pain when things go wrong?

Associate
[TW]Fox;19328535 said:
On the clock, sure.

haha yeah I remember years back when a guy i knew had an sri 16v Cavilier and he was amazed how my bog standard mk2 xr2 was able to do 140mph and keep up with it.. iirc the fiesta was barely doing 100mph and on the bumper of the old cav. Ah the good old days, driving like an idiot and thinking your cool. As oppose to now, driving a little bit fast now and again and thinking everyone else on the road are idiots.
All vauxhall owners seem to think their cars have epicly fast top speeds, when infact cars that can't even achieve those speeds seem to be able to overtake them with little or no effort.
You say the 2.2 Astra coupe is capable of more than 135mph, back when my poor old car wasn't so old but was very standard it had a book top speed of 139mph and use to make a mockery of any none turbo'd vauxhall including the sri 2.2, wonder how it did that and was only 4mph faster. Shame I rarely see 60mph in it now let alone 100+ (my commute is all 30/40mph and thats all its used for)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Even my old man, who is a MASSIVE Vauxhall fan and has used them for years. Has recently bought a Mondeo, he likes it says its crap and boring comparred to the Omega but it does what he needs it to do and its cheaper to run.

The Omega is one of the few quality Vauxhalls they made. I'd bet he wouldn't rave about a vectra the same way.

Caporegime
The Omega is one of the few quality Vauxhalls they made. I'd bet he wouldn't rave about a vectra the same way.

Doubtful he would prob rate it like he done the Mondeo, boring but it does the job. The Omega is wonderful car, still one of the better cars I've driven. So smooth and comfy.

Associate
haha yeah I remember years back when a guy i knew had an sri 16v Cavilier and he was amazed how my bog standard mk2 xr2 was able to do 140mph and keep up with it.. iirc the fiesta was barely doing 100mph and on the bumper of the old cav. Ah the good old days, driving like an idiot and thinking your cool. As oppose to now, driving a little bit fast now and again and thinking everyone else on the road are idiots.
All vauxhall owners seem to think their cars have epicly fast top speeds, when infact cars that can't even achieve those speeds seem to be able to overtake them with little or no effort.
You say the 2.2 Astra coupe is capable of more than 135mph, back when my poor old car wasn't so old but was very standard it had a book top speed of 139mph and use to make a mockery of any none turbo'd vauxhall including the sri 2.2, wonder how it did that and was only 4mph faster. Shame I rarely see 60mph in it now let alone 100+ (my commute is all 30/40mph and thats all its used for)

Wouldnt say the civic is a much better car tbh.

Plenty of "racers" round here have proved that theyre not fast cars so your post does come as a surprise. Got torque?

Im not having a dig, I just fail to see your false sense of seniority if honest

Associate
You say the 2.2 Astra coupe is capable of more than 135mph, back when my poor old car wasn't so old but was very standard it had a book top speed of 139mph and use to make a mockery of any none turbo'd vauxhall including the sri 2.2, wonder how it did that and was only 4mph faster.

Probably because the 2.2 astra has 144BHP and yours has 170? It doesnt change the fact that on paper there is only half a second to 60 and 4mph difference between them.

Associate
drove a zafira for 3 years and hated it steering brakes felt different every time wanted to go straight on window came down when it felt like it petrol guzzler and petrol smell in cabin.... unfortunately it was all we could afford on disability and get a wheelchair in without hefty deposits on motability
when it went back still had all these faults
wouldnt bother again

never found the pussy magnet in it tho

Soldato
All vauxhall owners seem to think their cars have epicly fast top speeds, when infact cars that can't even achieve those speeds seem to be able to overtake them with little or no effort.You say the 2.2 Astra coupe is capable of more than 135mph, back when my poor old car wasn't so old but was very standard it had a book top speed of 139mph and use to make a mockery of any none turbo'd vauxhall including the sri 2.2, wonder how it did that and was only 4mph faster.

What complete nonsense.

Out of interest what's the 0-60 of the Civic VTi?

Last edited:
Soldato

A 1.6 XR2 isn't really going to stay anywhere near a 20XE powered car in working order, the Cavalier really will do near enough 140 MPH. I don't think the 2.2 engine as found in the Astra in standard form is all that great.

From Parkers ...
2.2i 16V SRi 3d (AC) 7.9 s 133 mph 144 bhp

I really wouldn't bet on my 182 against a working Astra GTE 16V in a straight line. Im of the opinion (especially historically) that Vauxhall tended to make pretty decent engines.

Last edited:

Jay

Jay

Associate
[TW]Fox;19292536 said:
It matters not what the merits of a Vauxhall may be in isolation when almost every other competitor is simply better. So why bother?

I take it your sig pic is a **** take? lol

Associate
ANd what does the book figure have to do with anything on the road other than a very basic guide of what a car is capable of

As most of us dont have the luxury of owning every car under the sun to compare them for ourselves, book figures are the next best thing going. There is always someone who will come along with a "my car can do 150 init yo" book figures are the only way to counter this. I've only ever had one car where I could truly test it. My first car in fact, an awful 1.2 8v corsa with 45bhp. It had a book figure of 90mph, I managed to get 87 out of it according to the sat nav and 95 on the speedo. Based on that experience book figures arent a bad alternate.

Oddly enough I havent tested if my Astra can get near to its 135mph book figure.

Back
Top Bottom