• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6970?? Or wait until q4 for new generation? £250 budget.

Soldato
Are you sure about this? I spoke to customer service, and even regarding a fan noise issue, flashing the BIOS only to unlock the shaders (without changing anything else) could void the warranty.

Gibbo has stated on this forum that oc will honor the warranty if you flash it, and it is advertised as 'flashable too 6970'.

If your card was needing rma'd, you would put the original bios back in and re-lock the bios anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is kind of my dilemma, I hold onto gfx cards for quite a while really, So I like the best I can get at the time. If it was close to the release of the 69xx series I would prolli just get one (once the traditional English gouging had dissipated). As a 6870 can be had for just over £100 new and a 6950 2gb for around £150 I may just do that and save myself £100-£150.. Especially as no single card seems to currently suit my display needs.

As for you.. wait until the game is released anything else would just be silly.

Caporegime
6950, 480, 560, 570 - any if those, but not a 6970 when you might have the possibility of flashing it, failing that you can still overclock. Fair enough if you can find a 6970 at a dirt cheap price, otherwise I wouldn't bother, there's so little difference between them.

Associate
New hardware is always coming out, if you constantly waited for new hardware you would never have a gaming PC, just get what you can when you want in my opinion.

Associate
OP
Hehe seems quite divided in here! Well im just about to order my new rig but not a new card. Going to shop around for a bargain if i can, failing that just wait...if i can manage it lol!

Associate
I hear there are some nice next gen cards coming a bit closer to Christmas, which will in turn no doubt lower the price of some of the current top end cards.... I'd wait "if I were you".

However I'm not you, nor am I a patient person and went and bought a new card on Monday lol

Associate
why dont buy the 6970 ? , it's faster than the gtx480 in most things (i have both)

agreed, 6970 is so cheap now (£240) there no point going for a £225 6950...

people are so stubborn in the 6950>6970 flash, this was the case when they first released and price difference/lots of rev 1 card was around, but now, really??

plus 6970 can go MUCH higher clock wise. and u dont need to flash :)

Associate
No point in upgrading for a game when we don't know what spec it will require ie when we see the demo and real world use. I say wait, 5/6 months is a long time in graphics cards.

This ^

but also... All AAA commercial games like cod/bf are currently designed with the ***tty "multiplatform" technology because they have to support xbox/ps3 (consoles sell 3x the volume of PC copies), so they can't ever use the optimal PC specs available. There's no way you'll need more crunch than what's available now, for a game that comes out in 6 months to a year. Which is sad. :(

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm going to hold out for the 7xxx series now they are pretty close, probably buy something cheap to run Win7/web stuff in the meantime and act as a back up card should I need to RMA any time in the future.

Soldato
I'd wait out personally, BF3 isn't out for a while anyway, so it seems pointless going out now and buying a new card based around a game that doesn't even exist yet.

I'm still happily running along with a pair of GTX280s in SLi, and they can hold their own with pretty much any game I throw at them at high settings, although I'm only gaming at 1080p.

Associate
OK, I have this question which is bothering me a lot.

ATI vs Nvidia which card to get NOW!

I want to play games at 1900x1200 with high settings. I ve seen people with negative comments on ATI driver and they wish they bought Nvidia instead. is this how bad ATI driver ?

I have £250 to burn today which card ?

Caporegime
OK, I have this question which is bothering me a lot.

ATI vs Nvidia which card to get NOW!

I want to play games at 1900x1200 with high settings. I ve seen people with negative comments on ATI driver and they wish they bought Nvidia instead. is this how bad ATI driver ?

I have £250 to burn today which card ?

What's the rest of your spec?

Caporegime
and live with all the problems coming from the ati driver ?

I've had more ATI cards over the years and I have had no major problems at all.

I bought a 480gtx SOC, only really for two reasons; one I wanted to try nVidia which I haven't for quite a while, the other because I believe that nVidia offer better performance generally, but especially when AA is applied.

Yes, my last card was a dual gpu so I haven't had the chance to try a recent AMD offering, but I just don't see how those that have gone from AMD to nVidia, and exclaimed how pleased they were, can ALL be wrong. I would still happily buy an AMD gpu, I just think it comes down to one thing, funding. I have just completed an AMD biased game, Stalker COP (complete mod) - it was nice to see at the end that AMD had more to do with the development than nVidia did, hence it's hardly surprising that benchmarks show it to run well on AMD hardware, though it ran very well on the 480, probably fractionally not as well as a 6970 would. I simply feel that AMD need to keep that up because I am sure the hardware is just as capable.

My experience generally speaking : ATI/AMD pros = power consumption, value, robust hardware, image quality.

NVIDA pros = performance re minimum and average frames per second / AA application.

So, AMD need to keep funding or matching nVidia's game development funding otherwise the trend will continue, as it does cycle after cycle...been here the best part of three years and it's still more of less the same pattern.

Last edited:
Associate
Yes new cards are coming, but then again new cards are always coming! :p
I strongly disagree with this sentiment. It proved to be worthwhile to wait for the i5-2500k then rush and spend more on a chip that yields significantly less performance.

In this case, don't bother waiting for Q4 Gen GPU's. The current GPU's can more than handle any game on 1920 x 1080 resolution. Pick any of the following and roll with it.

GTX 480 > My first choice @ £199.99
GTX 570
ATI 6950
ATI 6970

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom