iOS5 - Conundrum.

Associate
I know this may not apply to a lot of people, maybe it will, but me being more focused on buying other things Apple orientated such as: Software, Laptops/Desktops (MBP & Mac Mini), I have not had the time nor really the money to upgrade my 3g iPhone 8gb.

Now, you cannot upgrade your iPhone 3g to iOS5.
You have to be on at least a 3gs, sucks huh? Is this a way for apple to force all users who want the latest software to spend a few hundred pounds for a new iPhone? maybe, maybe they just don't want us using redundant hardware, I'm not sure.

So I managed to get myself iOS5 the developer preview, my friend is in the program so he would have activated my phone for me and to my surprise, it didn't work.

To be honest, I am a little disappointed by this, but it happens I guess.

What are your thoughts on the matter?

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, for a start the 3G is discontinued, also the hardware is very much different from the 3GS. You can't expect them to carry on supporting a 3 year old phone when they release a new one every year.

Associate
OP
Yeah I guess that is true, I was going to just sell this off to a website like envirofone, but they only offer £79.80 for it or something like that.

I'll just wait for the iPhone5 now I suppose, although this was like I said, a little disappointing.

Commissario
I think this is a good thing. Remember all the complaints when Vista was released because people were trying to run it on hardware that was far too old and not suitable? This is Apple's way of stopping that sort of thing from happening with the iPhone.

Soldato
My 3G is slow enough already with iOS 4.2. I think it'd fall over completely if you made it support iOS 5 features like iCloud. Apple have made some questionable decisions regarding software compatibility in the past, but I think this is a good decision - the 128MB of RAM in the 3G just isn't enough any more.

Last edited:
Associate
I think this is a good thing. Remember all the complaints when Vista was released because people were trying to run it on hardware that was far too old and not suitable? This is Apple's way of stopping that sort of thing from happening with the iPhone.

Except they done that with iOS 4 on the 3G. I assume you saw the videos where the UI wouldn't respond to sliding across to answer a voice call? It happened to me. It was ludicrous that they even released it in that state only to bang on about how much they learned when they tried to fix it.

Associate
The 3G just doesn't have the grunt, it really struggled on iOS4.x and was driving me nuts. They should've restricted it earlier than that to a stable release that didn't slow it down so much. Eventually I had it nicked, but then reclaimed it after the said arsewipe put it down the toilet and now doesn't work at all, heh.

Got an iPod touch 4th Generation today which is quite nice, kinda wish it was an iPhone 4 but that's twice the price and not very usable in other countries (ones that don't have MicroSIMs). iOS5 is pretty slick too.

Caporegime

This

the 3G struggled badly enough with iOS4 !! imagine the complaints when iOS5 won't run and its even slower.

tbh you've got it lucky in the apple world. When apple release an update, unless you've got a really old phone you can just update to it. If you had an android phone it wouldnt be that simple ...

Associate
OP
Yeah I agree, come to think of it I have noticed noticable slow downs in my iPhone 3g while on the newer iOS >.>

Currently on 4.2.1, it runs 'okay', it seems fast at times, but it does seem to slow down while doing certain tasks.

I think I'll just wait for the iPhone 5 to come out, trade this in and get some money off the final price.

Back
Top Bottom