30GB SSD for Arch + Gnome 3?

Soldato
Hmm depends on what you wanna do with it. My fairly complete Arch gnome 3 desktop/multimedia box has 18gb on / excluding my home directory. So yep it's fine, but might give you problems if you wanna store much on it obviously.

I'm using SSD to without issues, to get the best performance you need to mess around with partition alignment a bit, but it's all well documented on the arch wiki :)

Soldato
OP
hhmmm I have all music and video on my arch server so don't need a lot of space...

it's only £45 for a ssd as well. Could get a 60GB Vertex 2E for £80 though.

oh while you're here, I have a 5870, is it a no go on gnome 3 on the open source driver?

SMN

SMN

Soldato
oh while you're here, I have a 5870, is it a no go on gnome 3 on the open source driver?

Not sure now, but I remember when I last had an ATI card 3 years ago the ATI driver support for *nix was dreadful. Things might have changed since!

Associate
It is definitely possible. I have a SSD in my media server machine that is only 30GB. I partitioned it with:

/ - 10GB
home - 20GB

Then put the swap on another HDD where I store all my large media.

I've had this rig running for about two years and / has 3.2GB free and home has 10GB although all I do is use the browser, download torrents with it and stream media to other machines.

Back
Top Bottom