Does anyone put money away for their PC upgrades?

Associate
Sort of, money goes into a ISA every month then if I need to use it I can and if I don't it increases.
I did just raid it for some climbing kit I couldn't have purchased otherwise. So now the saving starts again.
It seams a better way of managing the money I do have, if its in a debit card account like most people I wouldn't see the problem with dipping in every month. Since it is out of the way it increases, unless I decide I do actually need (not just fancy) what I am buying.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
no i'm not poor.

:D

It makes zero sense to save up for 2 years and then splash 2 grand on a top of the line PC these days, much better to buy something thats just behind bleeding edge performance - usually at about half the price of bleeding edge performance and then upgrade stuff again to just behind bleeding edge in a couple of years time... and laugh at people who spent over a grand on "GTX295 SLI" for "future proofing" when your £200 card ~18 months on beats it.

Caporegime
ive switched to upgrading every 3 years with a GPU upgrade as needed. i dont go for the best possible stuff anymore either its just not worth it unless u thing its importaint to brag about what you have.
seems a waste of money to upgrade every 1-2years considering the state of pc gaming

Associate
As a CEO of a company I get paid very handsomely, what I want I buy, theres always more money where that came from.

Study hard, climb the ladder and money no longer becomes something you'll need to worry about.

Man of Honour
No, I just upgrade my PC when I feel it needs it. This means typically every 3 years. It's not as if PC components are expensive unless you go bonkers - and frankly £2k for a PC upgrade sounds like bonkers. Perhaps if you didnt blow £2k upgrading a computer when I reckon I probably spent less than half that then you wouldnt need to put away 20 quid a month to afford it :p

Soldato
As a CEO of a company I get paid very handsomely, what I want I buy, theres always more money where that came from.

Study hard, climb the ladder and money no longer becomes something you'll need to worry about.

Pride comes before a fall as the saying goes...

[TW]Fox;19354012 said:
No, I just upgrade my PC when I feel it needs it. This means typically every 3 years. It's not as if PC components are expensive unless you go bonkers - and frankly £2k for a PC upgrade sounds like bonkers. Perhaps if you didnt blow £2k upgrading a computer when I reckon I probably spent less than half that then you wouldnt need to put away 20 quid a month to afford it :p

Aye a 1K computer should be more than enough unless you have serious requirements (like some kind of Workstation for video editing)

Soldato
I think that the first PC is the most expensive.

Next time you don't need a new monitor, speakers, keyboard, mouse, case, PSU, HDDs, possibly soundcard and fans.

Man of Honour

lol... it as much luck than anything. Studying hard isn't some magic bullet.

Soldato
Right now I thankfully have a bit of money tucked away in savings, so when I get a new PC in a few years from now I will probably use that cash.

But yeah, if I didnt have that cash stashed already I would definetely consider putting back a small amount each month. Maybe £50 or so.

Caporegime
Never put away money for parts, quite a lot of the components i purchase are second hand, which helps to save a few quid. Also selling older parts helps when i do feel the need for an upgrade. Saying that though, when i do replace the spec in sig, ill be keeping it as a secondary rig. Probably wont be for a while though.

Caporegime
I have done before, though I don't tend to these days. Despite being a gamer through and through I can always find something else that really needs the cash injection.

Soldato
All the stuff I have sold on the MM has gone into my Halifax account. So when I have enough I am doing a new build. Never built a pc from scratch. But plan to over the winter.

But as it's my first pc. I shall be making a custom case, using water cooling and brading everything!!! I think if you can save £30-50£ per month it's a cracking idea OP

Back
Top Bottom