Selling car privately - what to do about insurance for test drives?

Soldato
Will be selling my Boxster S over the next couple of weeks and obviously need to arrange for buyer test drives. However I'm a bit concerned about insurance.

Quite often their insurance will cover driving another car with the buyer's permission but only 3rd party cover. My nightmare scenario is letting the potential buyer take the car out for a spin (with me obviously) and have him/her ding it on a curb, or scrape a wall, or something much worse.

Is it just a risk I have to take? Any advice? Thanks!

Soldato
OP
Just tried Day insure, they say "The vehicle has been identified as 'PORSCHE BOXSTER S Cabriolet 3387cc, 2dr Petrol Manual (06-09)' and unfortunately we are unable to offer insurance for this vehicle"

Will look for an alternative..

Associate
Might be worth giving your own insurance a call and seeing if it's possible to add a short term named driver at the time of the test drive, at least then it'll be fully covered.

Not sure what the score is with a claim though. Anyone know if the claim will go against the policy holder or the named driver?

Soldato
surely if you let them take it for a spin around big wide roads, then back to a supermarket car park on a sunday, should be all good? no dings or scuffs?

Soldato
I recently had a courtesy car when my Boxster S went into have a bit of work done. I'm only 21 so the dealer insurance wouldn't cover me on their 60 plate courtesy Boxster S so they phoned up my insurance and added the courtesy car for 24 hours for a fee of £35 (which the dealer picked up).

I'd advise anyone who turns up without fully comp insurance allowing them to drive your Boxster that you will give them a passenger ride and let them fully look over and inspect the car. If they are still interested then try and get them added onto your insurance, or add the car to their insurance for a day and then allow them to drive it with you in it.

People coming to look at a car like this would assume that I would expect, it's not a £2k Corsa that people risk test driving uninsured.

Soldato
OP
Thing is, if I was buying my car, I'd want to have a thorough test drive, on country roads, motorway and town driving. So a quick spin around the industrial estate would be totally unacceptable.

I think I'll have to go with Peerzy's suggestion, passenger seat ride only, unless they sort out their insurance. I will ring my insurance company today though and see what they can do..
EDIT: My insurance company won't add a new driver temporarily to my insurance. So that one is out of the question now! Man this is tricky... :(

Last edited:
Soldato
You don't test drives peoples private sales like you would a dealer car. It's to see if the car is mechanically sound and fit for sale, not to see how you like it wherever you want to drive it.

They should find a dealer example if they want to abuse that model of car for a day. A passenger ride should be sufficient to placate them if they are unwilling to arrange their own insurance.

Soldato
OP
You don't test drives peoples private sales like you would a dealer car. It's to see if the car is mechanically sound and fit for sale, not to see how you like it wherever you want to drive it.

They should find a dealer example if they want to abuse that model of car for a day. A passenger ride should be sufficient to placate them if they are unwilling to arrange their own insurance.

That's a very good point. Hopefully a serious buyer would have checked some other ones out at Porsche first. :)

Back
Top Bottom