Buyer asking for my sort code and account number. Safe?

Associate
Someone wants to buy £200’s worth of car spares off me. I’ve asked for £100 deposit up front, before he collects the spares in two weeks. He’s offering either a cheque in the post, or to ‘put’ the money in my bank account, and he’s asking for my sort code and account number. I’m not making myself vulnerable to any kind of fraud, giving him those details, am I? Can’t be too careful, you hear so many stories these days. Everytime you give someone a cheque, you’re disclosing your sort code and account number, so can’t see how this would lead to anything…

Soldato
Give him your bank acc number and sort code. JOB DONE

If you paid someone via cheque they would have your signature, acc no and sort code and where you bank (address)

PLUS if he pays via cheque, it could be stolen and could bounce 2 weeks down the line.

Associate
I always have a 'spare' bank account for this type of thing with nothing in it and no overdraft facility - if anyone ever tried to take money out they couldn't.

you sure? The "no overdraft" could be no "interest free" overdraft. You may find that it is indeed possible to go overdrawn, but you'd be hit by interest and penalties. Just saying....

Caporegime
Give him your bank acc number and sort code. JOB DONE

If you paid someone via cheque they would have your signature, acc no and sort code and where you bank (address)

PLUS if he pays via cheque, it could be stolen and could bounce 2 weeks down the line.

This I once had an Ebay buyer who would not pay me by bank transfer as I would see his "details" and insisted on sending me a cheque so I had more info than a bank transfer. I did point this out to him but he still insisted it was safer.:confused:

Caporegime
I always have a 'spare' bank account for this type of thing with nothing in it and no overdraft facility - if anyone ever tried to take money out they couldn't.

A lot of banks now let you go into unarranged overdraft cause they like to hammer you with daily charges and a £35 letter.

I let one of my accounts by accident go overdrawn and I had no overdraft facility. I got a letter from them saying they had allowed the £80 transaction to go through but I was been charged £35 and £5 per day for every day it is overdrawn.

Back
Top Bottom