When will we reach the Moon, Mars, Jupiter, another star and another galaxy...

Man of Honour
About the Alcubierre drive... have you read the overwhelming amount of problems with it as well as the little professional support for it?

yep, but I advent really commented. On faster than light travel, other than to say there is a mathematically possible work around.

Soldato

Don't worry I know how silly the mars thing sounds I was just highlighting the point that we don't know what's going to happen in the future, there is a chance the most crazy things would happen though.

As for the Godwins law...my bad luck that whenever I mention that word there's always a smarty pants out there to link that "observation". Althought I must point out I was not referencing the nazi's ideology or history I used it as more of a grammar nazi without the grammar I just couldn't think of a better word with a meaning "Don't try to impose you *opinions* on to others as if they're facts because as an opinion it holds the save value as the other person's opinion". Please do enlighten me of a better words for such expression as I am growing very tired of people referring me to that "law" every single time I use that god-forsaken word on soul devouring place that is interwebs.

Soldato
Go on, put your scifi heads on and predict how many years till:-
- A human lands on the Moon again - 31 years,4 days, 13 hours and 11 minutes
- A human lands on Mars - 100 years
- A human reaches Jupiter (Arthur C Clarke said we'd already be there :)) - 353 years
- A probe or human reaches another star - 623 years
- A probe or human reaches another galaxy - 1243 years

Soldato
Originally Posted by NeilFawcett
- A human lands on the Moon again - 50 years give or take a decade
- A human lands on Mars - 60-70 years, using the moon landing as a testbed for the mars mission
- A human reaches Jupiter (Arthur C Clarke said we'd already be there :)) - 150-200 years. Jupiter is pointless but its moons aren't. The biggest chance at finding life in the solar system off of earth is probably on europa due to its icey crust and possible enormous warm ocean beneath.
- A probe or human reaches another star - 1000 years minimum and even then their would have to be significant developments in communication technology which could travel faster than light to make the information any use at all

- A probe or human reaches another galaxy - Never as the distances involved are simply too large to cover in a humans lifetime. Even space tunneling/folding technology wouldn't work as we couldn't actively plot the destination correctly due to the enormous delay of light getting to us in the first place, meaning what you actually plot wouldn't have been there for millions of years

my 2c

Soldato
- A human lands on the Moon again - 10-20 years, I think SpaceX might do it as a proof of principal to wee on NASA from a great height. I also think that it might be SpaceX Tech launching chinese astronauts.
- A human lands on Mars 20-40 years, American/European launch to prove that the Chinese arn't where it's at.
- A human reaches Jupiter (Arthur C Clarke said we'd already be there :)) Never unless we work out how to harvest Hydrogen/Other resources from there to fuel starships or colonies
- A probe or human reaches another star Probe... 50-100 years - I expect tech to be developed to allow objects to be accelerate up to a higher percentage of the speed of light. Human - 50-2000 years - I only expect us to go to other systems when we either have a mass crisis here that requires us abandoning the solar system in a slow generation/cryo ship that takes up to 1000 years to get there. Or when we find a tech that allows us to get there within a decade
- A probe or human reaches another galaxy Never or 1000's of years

Associate
- A human lands on the Moon again
- A human lands on Mars
- A human reaches Jupiter (Arthur C Clarke said we'd already be there :))
- A probe or human reaches another star
- A probe or human reaches another galaxy

Moon: Soon, just read a report today that the Chinese are still pushing for a man on the moon. My guess is before 2020, 2030 at the latest.

Mars: At the earliest 2050. Still a few technological bumps to sort out and the current economic climate has put space travel back some years.

Jupiter: Considering that the same sub-light methods would likely be used similiar to a Mars mission, I don't expect much long after Mars to be honest. 2070 would be my guess.

Another Star: An as yet unknown method of FTL would need to be developed. Huge hurdles to still overcome here. My guess would be around 2200 if technological progress continues at a steady rate

Another Galaxy: Surprisingly once an FTL method is developed to travel to another star it's not a huge stretch to extend it to other galaxies. I suspect 2250 or such and we can move outside our galaxy.

Soldato
AAARRRRRRrrrrrrrrggggg time dilation is weird!!

OK, is it possible to set up an experiment at home with something like a centrifuge that would demonstrate a measurable difference in the time experienced by the moving object as opposed to time experienced by a non moving object?

Soldato

OK, is it possible to set up an experiment at home with something like a centrifuge that would demonstrate a measurable difference in the time experienced by the moving object as opposed to time experienced by a non moving object?

The centrifuge would need to go awfully fast...perhaps set up in a vacuum?
And because it won't be going at anywhere near light speed, it would need be run for many years before we can expect to see some form of time difference appear.

Soldato
As much as it breaks my heart to say it, we'll never get into space en-masse.

Greed, self interest and human nature will end our insignificant little species before we leave this rock.

This. The day we can all work together without greed, stupidity and self interest is the day this becomes paradise and we start making major advances forward.

Soldato

We already directly observe relativistic effects. To maintain the nanosecond accuracy required for precise positioning, the atomic clocks on GPS satellites have to be corrected for the effects of their orbital speed relative to the surface of the earth, and for the fact they are far away from the earth and therefore in a region of space-time less curved by the earth's gravity, which also effects the rate of time.

Soldato
We already directly observe relativistic effects. To maintain the nanosecond accuracy required for precise positioning, the atomic clocks on GPS satellites have to be corrected for the effects of their orbital speed relative to the surface of the earth, and for the fact they are far away from the earth and therefore in a region of space-time less curved by the earth's gravity, which also effects the rate of time.

Yes - I get that bit... but unfortunately a) my head is melting a bit at the though of being able to watch something and time travelling slower from the perspective of the object than for me observing the object. b) I am trying to come up with an experiment that lets me convince the missus! Who I think might be coming round to the idea a little but remains extremely sceptical.

Also does that mean that in a black hole time has stopped or at least slowed to an almost infintismally slow amount as observed by well no-one because we can't see in :) Likewise once you get out into deep space and very little in terms of gravitational fields would time speed up... Is time infinitely fast if there is no gravitational field?

Associate
humans won't be going anywhere, there's no need, it'll be some sort of DNA shot into space, possibly how we got here in the first place.

Soldato
civilisation will collapse due to global warming/no fossil fuels/no water/pollution/no energy/no food, keep dreaming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Permabanned
Im no expert but I thought Jupiter was just a ball of gas? Or is that another one of them, maybe Uranus... or maybe mine :D

Serious though, isnt Jupiter just a mass of gasses or something? Or is it the one with the circle around it?

Back
Top Bottom