Xenons on in during the day...

Soldato
IIRC isnt it the law in some countries to have lights running permently? Not sure.
EU is going to force DRL soon

The point is not "Why?" really but "Why not?" There is no detrimental effect really and only really something to gain?
Reduced visibility for motorcyclists during the day, as before they stood out more due to tending to have the lights on

Soldato
The is actually a British group campaigning for DRL to be banned in the UK lol

http://www.dadrl.org.uk/

*EDIT*

Since posting this I actually bothered to read it for a lol, appears Austria have actually banned DRL due to the glare to cyclists and pedestrians and it appears to have reduced accidents... /meh

Last edited:
Soldato
Reduced visibility for motorcyclists during the day, as before they stood out more due to tending to have the lights on

Meh, seems a bit far fetched.

You are either visible, or not. It's not like more people being more visible filters out bikers with detrimental effect.

Soldato
Rain (Regardless of time of day/light) - On
Very dark daytime - On
Night - On

Perfectly acceptable daylight - Off

This but with the addition of...

Low sun - On

So easy to end up lost in the shadows when the sun is really low on these summer evenings. Especially when overtaking on the motorway with the sun behind you. People simply don't see you in their mirrors.

Associate
I have a Volvo my lights are always on, I can switch just to sidelights but then these don't turn off with the engine.

Being on all the time has resulted in me replacing 5 bulbs since I got the car in January.

Soldato
I have my lights set to "Auto".
So my Xenon's tend to switch on at dusk, if it gets extremely cloudy (stormy weather coming) and in rain.
Oh and also when going in tunnels etc.

The Auto system seems to be good at judging when they are required.

Associate
The Polo can never turn it's lights off, unless you put sidelights on which turns the dipped beam off but you still have lights on.

Rather annoying!

Ahh! We had a Polo as a courtesy car a couple of weeks ago. We found it rather strange that the sidelights setting was dimmer than when set to off. Thought that there was an electrical fault or something. :o

Soldato
I have mine on during dull overcast days to bring more attention to the car, a lot less people pull out in front of me when my lights are on. If I'm on a long trip I also have them on no matter how bright it is.

I make a lot more progress with my lights on, on dual carriageways, the cars in front pull to the left one after the other, it can be very comical seeing it.

Soldato
The Polo can never turn it's lights off, unless you put sidelights on which turns the dipped beam off but you still have lights on.

Rather annoying!

Try holding the indicator as if you're turning left and in the flash (pull) as you turn the car on then hold for about 5 seconds, this turns off the DRL system in VAG cars currently (will make a beep / chime so you know it's worked). If it's not hold left it will be right, can't remember which way it is and I think it's reversed for RHD anyway.

Associate
I use my headlights when it's dark/low visibility. I thought that's what they were for. ?_?

IMO cars that have headlights on during perfectly normal day light are a distraction, not more visible.

Back
Top Bottom