Overclockers Keyboard Solictors!!

Associate
The Muddy wasteland of the Thames Estuary
I needs your helps!

My company has finally joined the 20th:rolleyes: century and agreed to pay us all by BACS rather than cheque. They have amended our contracts from "Payment will be made by cheque on or before the 25th of each month" to Payment will be made by BACS on or around the 28th of each month". Now while the 3 days later is fine , cheque clearance etc, its the 'around' bit. Are they allowed to do this or does it need to be on or before?

I have to wait until wednesday next week before I can go to the CAB so any help/pointers/links would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Caporegime
Not really vague? I don't know the legal mumbo jumbo but you know, there are bank holidays etc etc and weekends...So I don't know.

Need someone from HR in here really :p

Soldato
Its way too vague. They need to stipulate that "around" means it will be paid before or after, if the 28th falls on a weekend or public holiday. I wouldnt sign any contract with the word "around" written in unless it defined what "around" meant, as I mentioned previously.

Soldato
I'd cast a cynical eye over the rest of the contract too, just to make sure your lunch break doesn't mysteriously become 15 minutes shorter at the same time too, stuff like that.

Associate
typically it is on or before

this really. i've been paid by BACS near enough ever since I started working, I can't think of a time when it has been "late". The only times it doesn't come as expected is when the pay date falls on a weekend or bank holiday and when this occurs most of the time it hits the bank earlier.

it's a good thing tbh and much more convenient for you :)

Soldato
Thats usual for BACS payment, I think most payrolls want to do it on the last friday of the month, which obviously changes in date.

Then why not say the last Friday in every month?

In my experience, this is not normal. Mine says payment will be made on the 25th of each month, where the 25th is a weekend or bank holiday, payment will be made on the next working day.

Associate
This is not unusual for a variety of reasons.
1) Bacs whilst generally fast can be slow dependant upon your bank and theirs, thus they no matter when they give the money to the bank to pay by BACS they cannot guarrantee when you will get it.
2) Allowance for weekends and bank hols, as said above it is true in this event it is generally before hand in this case but with smaller businesses allowances are made.

All that said it might be best to bring it to your employers attention but as I say with smaller businesses they tend to be a bit more variable.

Soldato
If it's to do with they weekends then they could have worded it better, i.e. 'Payment will be made by BACS on the 28th of each month, weekends and public holidays permitting.'

Associate
If it's to do with they weekends then they could have worded it better, i.e. 'Payment will be made by BACS on the 28th of each month, weekends and public holidays permitting.'
Agreed, but for a lot of companies contracts are just a necessary formality and they don't intend them to be held under a microscope... As I say though I doubt very much its anything malicious they are probs just making allowance for any problems which arise beyond their control. I.e. Bacs....

Associate
Remember though that while banks must keep to the BACS code of payment, Building Societies will be a day or two later crediting your account.

Credit to an account is never done on a weekend or holiday, but rather the day after: example would be if the money were to credit on Sunday, then Monday would be the new credit day.

Back
Top Bottom