"Officer, what colour are your socks?"

Associate
I have to confess to following Plod-related stuff quite closely, mainly because two members of my family are serving officers. A few days back, my nephew (who is a copper) was telling us that his shift had been subjected to a uniform check and he'd been given slightly more than a ticking-off...

...because he'd been wearing white socks with his uniform.

I asked how his fashion fau-paux had been discovered and he said that as part of the inspection, they'd all had their socks checked! :eek:

I know the plod sometimes get a tough time of it, but having their socks checked!!?

I can't believe any other job would entail such humiliation!?

Caporegime
Reminds me of my secondary school. White socks were severely frowned upon, i got sent home a few times for breaking that rule. Brown socks at all times, to match the horrid brown uniform.

Permabanned
they tried this at my work (prison officer) told them where is it in the uniform policy (it isnt) and are you going to supply me with black socks, wore pinks ones for a few weeks to make a point and they left me alone lol

Associate
OP
Most concerning is why someone would think it acceptable to wear white socks with black trousers and shoes.

I wouldn't have thought he was wearing ordinary shoes!

Almost all coppers wear boots, which is why I think checking their socks is pretty bizzare.

No problem with general uniform checks at all.

Caporegime
I have seen people charged (well written essays) for not wearing black socks. Wearing the wrong socks is a BIG no no.

I get pulled up all the time for wearing black and yellow socks :p

Associate
OP
Unless you're a skipper wearing shoes, I can't say how you'd ever be able to tell.

What's the significance of a skipper wearing shoes? Don't they all wear boots?

It's a known fact that wearing white socks makes you less capable of doing your job as a Police Officer.

I'll tell my nephew that - he'll be well chuffed, I'm sure :D

Back
Top Bottom