Who's all been to an IMAX cinema?

Associate
Last film I saw they had refurbished the seats and sound at the BFI and gave a little tech demo before the film, they lit up behind the screen and it's just loaded full of speakers.

AFAIK they aren't the actual speakers behind the screen, just a projected graphic used as a demo. I believe they have a standard LCR setup but with repeaters (3 above and 3 below).

Associate
Been to the one in Liverpool and Southampton.

The Southampton one my brother was involved in the set up process and frankly it's the best cinema experience i've ever had.

Between my limited experiences I can surmise they're either very good or just meh.

I still prefer blu-rays at home tbh.

Soldato
Go to the BFI one in Waterloo now and then (seeing TF3 there) easily my favourite cinema. Avatar was a true experience there, always get tickets for the really 'big' films there just because it's much more impressive than going to Bexleyheath Cineworld.

Man of Honour
Thread title is malformed, but still understandable.

IMAX is great. I've been going to the BFI one in Waterloo for some years, and can recall seeing Avatar (twice!), Star Trek, Alice in Wonderland, Watchmen, Sucker Punch and the newest Harry Potter film.

The most impressive was certainly Avatar, but the most enjoyable was Sucker Punch - the audio in that cinema is second to none!

Avatar there was just superb. If people get a chance to see it at the BFI then they should not pass up the chance. It really is a fantastic cinema experience.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Been to the Waterloo one a couple of times, last time was to see Avatar.

While it was good and enjoyable, I dont think it was really worth the extra ££.

Associate
Saw Avatar and Watchment at Wimbledon and was unimpressed. I found out later that Wimbledon doesn't have the full size screens, so I will go to the BFI one next time. I wanted to see The Dark Knight there, but it was booked for about 2 months at the convenient times.

Soldato
I went to see Transformers at IMAX. By the end of it I was sitting with my eyes shut I felt so sick!

Suffer from travel sickness so that's probably why.

Having said that I fully intend on taking my travel sickness tablets and taking myself off to see the Harry Potter at IMAX!

Soldato
Been to the one in Sydney (in fact I can see it from my apartment).. world's largest.. amazing!!

From Wiki:

I saw the titanic documentary there by Cameron, was amazing, looking at the seats below is like looking off a cliff (its probably not but thats how i remember it)
I could not see all the screen in my field of view at once, I kinda didnt like the fact that I couldn't see the whole picture, and had to view bits of it at a time.

PR.

PR.

Associate
AFAIK they aren't the actual speakers behind the screen, just a projected graphic used as a demo. I believe they have a standard LCR setup but with repeaters (3 above and 3 below).

Really? It looked real enough to me but I've only seen in the once, just assumed that was where the sub and centre speakers were located.

The only 3D at the IMAX I've seen was the opening 10mins of HP: Half Blood Prince. But it was the bit at the beginning when they do the 'film reel 10 - 1' countdown that then goes from tiny screen to full screen to 3D and full sound. Fortunately it was so loud nobody could hear be shouting WOW!!! like an utter pillock! :D

Caporegime
ive seen tron in imax 3d, tjor, really liked it, he sound i think is the biggest upgrade compared to standard, i also do like the 10, 9, 8, etc sequence, cheesy as it is!

went to the odeon in norwich as its the only one in 50 miles+

Should be going to see TF3 there, 3d films are same as non so makes it more worth it in 3d

im very picky about my seat, as the gf knows, shes dragged there 30mins before the start at least, i will even trample small children to reach the perfect seats! [yes its that crucial!]

Last edited:
Caporegime
Bit of a resurrect...

Whats peoples opinion of the non-proper IMAXes? Think the only true IMAX near me is the BFI unless Im mistaken? Trying to see Tintin but the BFI arent showing it so wondering if its even worth trying the other IMAXes...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Back
Top Bottom