• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Buy now or wait for a couple of months?

Associate
Looking at the £199 6950 MSI card on offer this week and I'm wondering whether to go for it now or to wait until BF3 is upon us in September.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-128-MS&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1752

It would be nice to have the increased FPS now, but it's really BF3 that I would be upgrading for, so will prices fall much in a couple of months time do you reckon and should I hang on? I've seen that the 7000 AMD and 600 Nvidia cards won't hit til November anyway, so I presume prices won't actually move much til then.

Opinions?

Associate
The market has not moved significantly for a while now, I would wait to see what end of summer brings as its a popular period to start the annual "back to school" marketing campaign for hardware, supposedly for better "studying". :rolleyes:

Permabanned
An HD6950 2GB for around £200 is the best bang for the buck as of today. Current rumours from Taiwan suggests that the HD7000 series will be released around Christmas (not sure about Kepler but nVidia has been usually later than ATI/AMD when moving to a new fab process), and BF3 will be launched around 28 Oct in the EU. If you are already determined to start building your rank in BF3 as soon as it's launched then you might have to buy a 40nm card.

Associate
OP
If no new cards are likely before Christmas, are prices for the current range really likely to fall more than £10-£20 between now and Sept (when the BF3 beta is due) do you think? I'd be willing to pay about that much to get it now and get the most out of it (and then at least it will be a few more months till it is made old by the new ranges). However if that £199 card is likely to be £159 by then, I'll hold out.

Crystal balls out please.........

Soldato
I'm facing the same quandry. I've decided to wait and see what happens. Don't need a better card now (as much as it'd be fun), and despite wanting to be up to scratch for BF3 I'm going to wait for next gen so when I do get the upgrade I "feel" it more, because I'll have needed it.

Associate
OP
I'm afraid I caved and went for a Gigabyte 560ti, overclocked to 900mhz for £172. If I trade in one of my 8800gtx's at CEX (and keep the other as spare) that means it will have cost me £145, which I don't think is that bad all told. Should get a few months out of it before it becomes last-gen.

Back
Top Bottom