What shoe polish?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
This might sound like a bit of an odd question. I'm struggling to find good quality shoe polish in the supermarkets and I'm nervous about shelling out premium dollar on anything from the shoe shops without knowing anything about it. Does anyone have any recommendations for smart black leather shoes?

Traditionally I've used Parade Gloss, but while it's great on parade shoes, it's not brilliant if you're not spit and polishing a toecap. It's a bit smeary with a brush and doesn't seem to protect the leather well. Likewise, Sainsburys own (don't seem to be able to get Cherry Blossom there any more) is just greasy and disappears quickly. I'm looking for something that will put that vintage high shine on a good quality leather shoe and soften and protect it.

Soldato
I've always used Kiwi polish with two brushes, one to apply and one to buff off, seems to do the job nicely. I'm borderline addicted to the smell as well :D

Soldato
i used to use Kiwi, back when i was in the air cadets,
Take a small tea spoon, heat it up ( lighter, or some type of fire ) till it's very hot, rub it against the polish, then place and rub it into the shoe with the spoon, keep rubbing and after say a minute heat the spoon up again, repeat as required for around 5 minutes, buff with a clothe not a brush and your toecap should have a mirror finish ;)

Soldato

can't see that lasting long lol

Associate
I've always found kiwi parade gloss good for toe caps as well as parade shoes - although the standard Kiwi Black is supposedly better. The best thing I've found is to:
1) Really rub the polish in with a brush,
2) then take it off with another brush
3) Sprinkle a few drops of water onto the shoe/boot
4) Rub that in with some cotton wool
5) Repeat 3 & 4 a few times
6) Use a cloth (or thicker sock) to rub the remains off

Soldato
Whilst we're on the subject, I have some brown shoes that have faded, can I use polish to bring them back or are they rubbish leather or maybe even synthetic? I bought them from River Island so didn't expect much :p

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
If they're synthetic you won't be able to do much. Leather usually comes back up though, and it depends what shade of brown you get.

I think I'm going to peruse the shoe shop tomorrow and see what they've got. Might end up resorting back to Kiwi if they can't convince me their stuff is better and why.

Soldato
I've always found kiwi parade gloss good for toe caps as well as parade shoes - although the standard Kiwi Black is supposedly better. The best thing I've found is to:
1) Really rub the polish in with a brush,
2) then take it off with another brush
3) Sprinkle a few drops of water onto the shoe/boot
4) Rub that in with some cotton wool
5) Repeat 3 & 4 a few times
6) Use a cloth (or thicker sock) to rub the remains off

Pretty much this. Gets shoes so shiny!

Caporegime
Kiwi is the only boot polish to use, I don't even think shoe shops sell any different.

Just get a nice big brush which will help. But I use smallish ones all the time, and well they pass parades fine enough.

Soldato
I just picked up a nice pair of Barker shoes, discounted as one of the shoes is very slightly faded compared to the other.

lelCTeo.jpg

You can see the left shoe (right in the photo) is a bit lighter and faded in comparison to the right shoe. The right shoe feels slicker and more glossy, the left shoe feels more matte to the touch.

What's the best way for me to try and get them both looking the same and to their best?

The shop gave me a tin of Dasco High Gloss shoe polish in medium brown.

It's quite pinky in the can and transparent when applied, is this normal? Also it didn't seem to make much of a difference when I applied some to a sample, could it be it's just absorbing in and needs a lot or should I try a different polish? I don't want to mess them up and would rather buy some other polish if necessary.

lL5hrP2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom