memory management BSOD

Associate
Hello,

I have just built a new PC and am experiencing odd BSOD issues.

I seem to have narrowed it down to if the PC is turned off at the mains/unplugged and then turned back on it BSODs with a memory management message 0x0000001A.

The system specs are:
Intel I7 960 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-X58A UD3r
6GB (3x2GB) Corsair Dominator DDR3, 1600mhz, CAS7, 1.65V
Corsair 850W PSU
320gb Samsung F4
Palit GTX580 1.5gig
Artic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro
Windows 7 Pro

Initially I has some issues installing windows, didnt seem to like an IDE DVD drive installing to a SATA HDD, kept blue screening and saying cannot find install media.
Swapped the HDD and DVD drive out and managed to install (although it seemed quite slow) however I then experienced freezing issues. I put this down to the HDD as it was just one i nabbed from work. I installed windows onto the original HDD while in windows.
Then rebooted, took out the work HDD and installed windows over the top of the secondary install. This seemed to work fine, however I did get one freeze at the same point as last time which was during Empire: Total War install asking to insert Disk 2. For the moment I have put this down to the game as I have had no other freezes, however I'm not so sure now.

I thought all was good until I unplugged the PC and moved it to where it was going, then on bootup I got a lot of BSODs on entering windows, rebooting made no difference, repairing made no difference. I turned the PC off rather than restarting and it went into windows fine.
I tested this again, unplugged, started, BSOD
restarted, BSOD again
shut down and powered back on, works fine.

The only difference I can see on boot up is if it is from a fresh plug in the PC spins up for a second, then stops and the lights go out, then spins up properly and continues. It does not do this if it has just been shut down, only when unplugged. I have seen other PCs that do this every time, not sure why or what for or if its a problem?

I think the problem is memory related, web pages point to lack of power to the memory, which may be why it froze during installations as well.

However the sticks are set at 1.65v, 1600mhz and running an 850W PSU, should be fine.

I can bench the PC using prime95 with high heat and memory load as well as loop 3dmark at the same time, no issues.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Associate
I had a similar problem with memory management bsod. Prime95 ran fine as well. But when I ran MemTest after about 50min or so errors starting popping up quite frequently. Someone else will say it but I would def try Memtest86 for 4-6 if no errors happen. If you start getting errors early then you have yours answer.

Edit: 4-6hours

Associate
OP
thanks, I will memtest it asap.

as a point of interest, when the PC was first built it clocked the memory to 1066mhz at 1.5V, when it was upped to 1600mhz at 1.65V there is a very high pitch squeek coming from inside the PC, im wondering if there is a faulty capacitor on either the ram or the mobo

Associate
You say you have pushed the RAM up to 1600Mhz, and thus changing the Voltage to 1.65v.....but have you adjusted the QPI speed and voltages and voltages of the CPU VTT?

I ask this as your error is the memory controller tripping up, which I was having after overclocking my RAM, giving the QPI/CPU VTT a little more juice fixed the issue.

Running memtest is also a good idea to narrow the issue down.

Oh and the sqeeking can be the voltage regulators squeeling.....can be quite common.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
You say you have pushed the RAM up to 1600Mhz, and thus changing the Voltage to 1.65v.....but have you adjusted the QPI speed and voltages and voltages of the CPU VTT?

I ask this as your error is the memory controller tripping up, which I was having after overclocking my RAM, giving the QPI/CPU VTT a little more juice fixed the issue.

Running memtest is also a good idea to narrow the issue down.

Oh and the sqeeking can be the voltage regulators squeeling.....can be quite common.

I havent manually adjusted the voltages no. When I put the memory up from 1066 to 1600 it automatically adjusted the DRAM voltage to 1.648v up from 1.52v

I'd assume if it adjusted one thing it should do everything else itself too? If not, then any idea exactly what to adjust to what voltage?

Associate
No it doesnt automatically adjust everything and you probably have it all set on auto voltage, which is why your memory controller is failing.

My advice is to read an overclocking guide regarding your particular motherboard and CPU......as its all about fine tuning and if you dont do it right, you will be plagued with BSOD......QPI votages, CPU Speed, CPU Voltages, QPI Speed, Memory Timings all need to work in harmony, because I'll guarantee you thats your problem.

If you think thats all a bit much for you, then turn it back down to stock. :)

Good luck

Associate
OP
If you think thats all a bit much for you, then turn it back down to stock. :)

Good luck

it is at stock, its 1600mhz memory rated to run at 1.65v, i didnt oc it, i set it to what it should be as it was 1066mhz before

it was also doing the same thing before i changed it, i changed it up to try and fix it as thats what i thought was wrong, its now set at its stock rating of 1600mhz

Associate
No...when you buy RAM, its rated to run at a set speed at a set Mhz....but your ram will be at 1066Mhz standard and then you can overclock it to 1600mhz at 1.65v......my Dominator GT Ram is rated for 2000Mhz, but I find it almost impossible to Overclock it that high stable.

Ok....well than if its still doing it, then it sounds to me like faulty RAM...also I just re-read my comment above, I didnt mean to sound patronising if thats how it came across :)

Back
Top Bottom