wiring info help advice

Associate
hiya, i got a master socket at the front of me house. it has a 10m phone extension cable in to me router in the living room.

router is a speedtouch 585 and me isp is talk talk. atm i have xbox ps3 and a pc into it sometimes me other half comes over and has her pc into it as well

just started decorating and want to replace the old extension with posibly a 10m cable and not the silly half a metre cable supplied, is there such a thing as a longer one of these cables ?

dont want wirless either and only really want to use 1 lot of power socket for it dont really want a powered splitter thing but if it is the only way then will have to

or is the only option the silly half a metre cable to router and 4x patch cables or powered hub

lol im confusing meself now again

atm the setup i have im happy with but really gotta change the extension so wanted to do it properly with the right cables

ty for any help

Soldato
You can do a run of twisted pair cable like the stuff BT use either terminated or non terminated and use a extension socket to plug into. Avoid a long length of flat extension as they can be quite poor.

I suppose ideally you'd want a 10m twisted pair cable with 4p4c at either end if you want to avoid the short rj11 modem lead altogether.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
ty for replies im confused more now lol

but now know the name of the short little cable rj11 ty :)

can get some long ones of these ive seen online will they be ok to use for a 10 metre run from socket to router/modem, then patch cables from router to all devices ?

just to add cant put router/modem by the door cause a wheelchair will get parked sometimes near it and dont want damge to the router and power supply but cables wiil be covered by trunking

Associate
Hiya naplam666, yes you could buy a 10m RJ11 to RJ11 cable and just use this its easy enough to do yourself.

Or if you feel OK to do the better way and put an extension socket into the room where you have the router. Not hard to do get some proper BT Phone cable, it only has 4 wires.
Then you only need to connect wires 2 and 5 to the same connections in the new socket in the other room.

Have a look on here,

www.kitz.co.uk

Look on there phone sockets and it gives you all the info your gonna need to do it.

Just a quick question with you saying there is need for wheelchair access. Is your home fitted with monitoring gear EG REDCARE alarm for emergency assistance?

Cheers

Associate
OP
hiya m8,
nah no monitoring stuff of any kind hes a palsy sufferer which affects walking the wheelchair will get left close to the plug socket and the router would have to be close to the area he leaves his chair being a teenager hes not very carfull and dont want broken adapters and things and probably getting a shock

cant put it higher up the wall without relocating me burgular alarm system all wired pir and bell outside

will check out that link in a bit ty all

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

1. Fit a filtered faceplate on the master BT socket.
  2. Wire a length of Cat5 cable from the rear of the faceplate (you'll need an IDC tool, so Google that) to the rear of a new phone socket in the other room.
  3. Plug modem in to this with short RJ11 cable.
  4. Profit.

Soldato
Just beware buying a 10m RJ11 cable as sometimes they'll be flat cable and you don't want that. That's why I suggested running a twisted pair BT spec CW1308 cable from master socket to wherever you need it as you can use the IDC terminals inside to hook it up. Terminating those little connectors on a cable is possible by hand but a bit fiddly if you don't have a tool.

Cat5 (4 pair) is generally fine to use for telephone wiring but isn't twisted quite right like CW1308 but if you have some cable kicking about then it'll be better than flat extension. It can also be a challenge to stuff all that cable in the smaller connectors.

Back
Top Bottom