show your sandy bridge 24/7 clocks and volts

Soldato
OP
My 4.70GHz @ 1.33vcore had now been passed after 9 hours Prime 95 blend test, I had stopped the test. Max temp 68C. Going to try 4.80GHz tomorrow @ 1.35vcore. But I probably stick with 4.7 cos of the temperature below 70C mark.

Does the temp of 68C max o68n the core 2 sound okay for 4.70GHz or should be lower ?

68 is fine it will not get near that normal use

Soldato
Here's mine:

Overclock.png

4.7/4.8 are not doable while sticking to 1.35V, but I'm quite pleased with 1.35V for 4.6GHz (set as 1.35V in BIOS, comes out at 1.335-1.352V seemingly at random - 1.344V is the most common).

Soldato
No, u cannot go even higher, no more than 1.35vcore at the bios. 4.6GHz is more than enough if it was 1.35v at the bios. I managed to get mine stable 4.7GHz at 1.33vcore at the bios but between (1.33v and 1.35v random at windows)

I had set my bios profile 1 (4.8GHz OC) for autumn/winter and profile 2 (4.4GHz OC) for spring/summer

Last edited:
Soldato
CPU.jpg

P8Z68-V Pro.

Set to 1.28V in BIOS and floats around 1.27V and 1.29V under load. Highest core got to 67C, the rest at 62C. Got it still coming down to 1.6GHz without load and idles at 29C.

Available RAM is less than I used as after it completed to take the CPU-Z screenshot I had to do something to get it back off speedstep!

Last edited:
Soldato
For those who had gigabyte z68 board, can you please test this part for me because I think my board is faulty due to this reason:

Go to Advanced CPU Core Features in the bios and stroll down Turbo Ratio (1-4 Core) and I can change the number from 34 to 59 from Turbo Ratio 1-core, 2-core and 3-core but the last one 4-core refuse to change any number (it stuck at auto)

Are this normal or could be faulty board ?

Soldato
I'm very happy with this for a 24/7 kids-spend-more-time-on-my-PC-than-I-do overclock:

2600overclock.png

Never felt constrained by the CPU, so never pushed it any higher than 4.6 (plus, don't really know what I'm doing beyond a couple of settings in the BIOS).

By the way, Hardware Monitor doesn't really like me - half the settings are rubbish (CPU fan at 98RPM while Prime95ing?!) and it doesn't see my second5870 at all. The CPU temperatures are reliable though, hence the screenshot.

Soldato
Guy's I'm seriously considering selling my RIIE and D0 920 for a Sandybridge setup, but I have a few questions about them that I am unsure about.

Firstly, is it still possible to use DDR3 RAM that is rated at 1.65v with these chips?

(I actually have my 1866MHz Dominators running at 1.5v anyway as they're running at 1600MHz CAS6 so I'm assuming this wont make any difference in the long run)

Also, I really like this new EFI BIOS'es, but am I right in saying that certain manufacturers still use the old style BIOS'es like the Gigabyte boards?

What manufacturers use the EFI style BIOS, as if I do decide to jump ship I definitely want this feature.

I know loads of people jumped from 920's to Sandybridge, did you guys notice a big difference in overall system performance, and any increase in FPS in games?

What's drawing me to this platform is the crazy overclocks you guys are getting with these chips, I can only get 4.2GHz stable with this chip on my RIIE, yet when I had it on my X58 UD5 it would sit happily at the 4.4GHz with only slightly more voltage the RIIE needs for 4.2, I stupidly bought the RIIE thinking I'd get higher clocks with it that I was with my UD5... and also I was building my rig around a colour scheme too and the blue colours of the UD5 just wouldn't look nice inside a case that's powder coated red inside!!!

Another query I have is, atm I'm still only running a pair of GTX280s, so would I be better off getting myself a 6950/70, or an nVidia equivalent graphics card and stick with the 920 and RIIE until the replacement for X58 comes along later this year?

Sorry for all the questions, but I just wanted some sound advice from guys that have went from a similar system to me onto Sandybridge.

If I do go for it I will be getting the 2600K.

Thanks in advance folks.

Soldato
8 hours testing does not mean its 100% stable.

I do 30mins then use it as normal if i get a blue screen then up the volts. To much time wasting testing i think.

I agree with this 100%, I've had overclocks being 12 hours prime stable and 20 passes of LinX using all available RAM, yet when playing games or doing other system intensive stuff getting BSOD, and raising voltage seems to sort things out.

I used to spend bloody hours using Prime 95 checking if my OC was stable or not.

Soldato
DavyBoy, it really up to you if you want to upgrade from i7 920 to Sandybridge, the performance is huge difference in benchmark. For gaming, it not much the difference to be honest (it probably down to my same GTX 260 for so long time)

And further more, it easy to overclock straight to 4.4GHz without touch the setting at the bios (just change from 34x to 44x and leave the rest on auto and F10 and enter) but if you want 4.5, 4.6 and 4.7 you have to do the setting at the bios. Start from the bottom slowly to catch up the highest overclock you can get. 4.8 to 5.2GHz is very difficult indeed (more suitable for custom water cooling really)

Sandybridge is lots cooling than hottest i7 920. Best not to go over 1.35v and not to go over 70C for sandybridge.

I had few issues problem with my board due to cold boot issues, few bugs on bios, and the rest is fine.

Good luck on your next sandybridge :)

Bos

Bos

Associate
I agree with this 100%, I've had overclocks being 12 hours prime stable and 20 passes of LinX using all available RAM, yet when playing games or doing other system intensive stuff getting BSOD, and raising voltage seems to sort things out.

I used to spend bloody hours using Prime 95 checking if my OC was stable or not.

+1

Some folks go a bit OTT with stability testing.
20 passes of LinX - max memory to weed out too low vcore then a couple of hours Prime95 is enough.
Not had a single prob doing it like that and I like to push for the absolute lowest voltage possible but still perfectly stable.

Soldato
+1

Yeah it rather annoying to test prime95 for 24 hours and passed. Then few days later, BSD error say 0x101. Then I just give up running prime 95 for 24 hours, it pointless really and waste of time!

We all know that PC never stable (never is) even on the non-overclock pc.

OTT is pretty very good (1 hour) and if it stable, it staying stable rather than 24 hours prime 95.

Soldato
CPU.jpg

P8Z68-V Pro.

Set to 1.28V in BIOS and floats around 1.27V and 1.29V under load. Highest core got to 67C, the rest at 62C. Got it still coming down to 1.6GHz without load and idles at 29C.

Available RAM is less than I used as after it completed to take the CPU-Z screenshot I had to do something to get it back off speedstep!

Forgot to say, Prime95 (Blend, 7000MB) only gets the hottest core to 57C.

Associate
with offset enabled is the only way to set the voltage to let the mobo decide the volts then use the offset to lower it?

i tried manual but it was a constant voltage even at idle. can't find anywhere to put voltage in on offset though only how much you want to lower the boards guess by

p8z68-v by the way

also what do people have set for llc? i have it at ultra high at the moment

is it just best to use manual to prevent under voltage when idle when using offset?

Last edited:

Bos

Bos

Associate
with offset enabled is the only way to set the voltage to let the mobo decide the volts then use the offset to lower it?

i tried manual but it was a constant voltage even at idle. can't find anywhere to put voltage in on offset though only how much you want to lower the boards guess by

p8z68-v by the way

also what do people have set for llc? i have it at ultra high at the moment

Yeah you don't want to use manual vcore if you want the voltage to drop when in Idle mode.
Offset does take a bit of getting yer head round at first.

For 5Ghz I set it to (Minus) -0.055 which gives 1.33v when first booting into windows, 1.32v under load and about 0.95v when Idle, LLC is set to High.
For lower clocks of like 4.4 , 4.6 etc I use LLC Medium

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom