How much do you actually download ?

Soldato
I also wasn't aware that downloading TV shows was legal?

That all depends on your moral/legal crossover.

If I were to record a programme on my Sky+ it is legal.
If I were to get this onto my PC, edit out the breaks and store it it would still be legal
If someone else does it and I download it it's illegal?

If you bought a DVD and it cracked and you then downloaded the film and burned it to a DVD to replace it are you committing a crime? You paid for your license to the content after all.

It's a legal/moral grey area and it will continue to be.

Associate
is there a particular one i should look at. As I presume like everything, there are lots to choose from. Who are the big players, the ones most people use then.

I use Supernews myself, but I hear Astraweb is nice, planning on moving to them when my Supernews runs out (for the extra retention)

http://usenetreviewz.com/ they provide links to the deals.

I'd avoid UsenetServer.com had a lot of failed downloads with them.

When you have newsgroup access you use nzb sites, such as nzbclub or nzbmatrix.

There is plenty of trials so I'd use some of them up first :)

Last edited:
Soldato
you bought a DVD and it cracked and you then downloaded the film and burned it to a DVD to replace it are you committing a crime? You paid for your license to the content after all.

It's a legal/moral grey area and it will continue to be.

Agreed it is a silly area.

I mean I can buy a for eg: windows 7 OS Disc. I could tread on it or whatever and the actual disc be damaged. I can easily d/l another copy and use my paid for product key on it that I paid for, but in theory d/l it would be classed as illegal

Associate
Then a lot of you guys seem to be buying a lot of Blu-rays and then downloading them online later . They should at least include a digital copy of the content with each physical copy to save you the bother of needing to download them again.

Permabanned
Whatever client is used it's still illegal therefore it shouldn't be done.

Just buy the products you use simple as that. I download between 20GB - 50GB no downloading needed. I do however get my music via iTunes and don't download movies/applications except purchased iPhone apps.

Permabanned
Agreed it is a silly area.

I mean I can buy a for eg: windows 7 OS Disc. I could tread on it or whatever and the actual disc be damaged. I can easily d/l another copy and use my paid for product key on it that I paid for, but in theory d/l it would be classed as illegal

Downloading the OS without licence key is not illegal. There are direct links from Microsoft to support this but what they do charge is for shipping when the OS is re-purchased.

Man of Honour
It's the traffic management that adds hops, which in turn adds latency.

No it isn't. Traffic management is done in one box, usually at the ingress point to the ISP network. It does not add hops, it might add latency if your ISP is oversubscribing however that's absolutely nothing to do with the latency in the FTTC case. It's because you're still using a xDSL last mile (even if it's 100m, whatever, the term still stands technically) and still piping everything through a tunnel to ISP rather than pure routing to the internet.

The idea that it's traffic management causing the additional latency is simply wrong, it's just the architecture, which isn't perfect but by BT standard it's not bad.

EDIT:

I'd add, I have a link to Edinburgh here which is through 4 hops, the slowest component link of that path is the cable into my laptop at 1GigE, I see 2ms in use and it's not like it's a heavily loaded link. That they get below 10ms on any kind of home connection is pretty decent going to be honest (not to mention anything below that is irrelevant anyway...).

Last edited:
Associate
I thought I would pose this question as i always used to get annoyed at ISPs imposing download limits, but recently I've been wondering if its really all that bad. So how much do you actually download, lets say per month, on average ?

Not interested in 'what' you download in any way, don't want to get into a whole discussion about the merits of the internet to do various things, just numbers.

I think I only get through about 10-15GB a month

i download up to 50GB per month right now. But ofc it varies.

The most i've downloaded is 200GB in 1 week

Soldato
lolbn.png

Actually finished 1.12tb I think!

Associate
Rapidshare and Hotfile are cyberlockers, not newsgroups I'm afraid. From my experience, it really isn't very easy to search for stuff on cyberlockers - you would need to join a site where they post links to that stuff.

For newgroups, check out Giganews and Astraweb as providers, NZBsrus for an indexing site and binsearch to do raw searches.

Back
Top Bottom