How far would you commute

Soldato
Its one train ride into London 50 minutes, then underground which should take about 20 minutes. I loaded up my Kindle with loads of book in preparation.

Its either that or move to central London and paying £1k+ rent instead of £700 I'm paying now. I know I can houseshare but too use to my own space and studio flat is a no go.

Move to London and the commute would still be an hour! :D It seems to take an hour to get anywhere here (door to door)

Associate
My commute is currently 30-45 minute drive..
Wouldn't want to drive further!

And I try and avoid jobs that mean a train/tube commute.
Not sure I could handle it!

Caporegime
I've always said it depends on how much you are paid.

Your time is not your own from leaving your front door to getting back home at night. If the money is good enough and you are prepared to give up those amount of hours per day then its fine.

I commuted 104 miles each way driving which took me two hours for 6 years. I used to enjoy it but it did start to grind after so many years especially one journey home of a Friday night before a bank holiday which took me 4 hours!

Soldato
What commuting time would you consider as acceptable? I'm starting a new job in few weeks and my commuting time will increase from 20 minutes to at least 1 hour 30 minutes... Am I in for a world of hurt?

Public transport or car ?

If its in London and public transport and a few tube line changes then you are in for a world of hurt equivalent to having a large red hot poker forcibly inserted into your rectum

If car and it doesn't involve the M25 or crossing through a busy city centre then you are ok. If it does involve the M25 / city centre then see above.

Permabanned
Took me over a hour each way to get to work in my younger days when i couldnt drive. Was annoying for me as it takes over 2 hours out your day sometimes more if i missed my bus. The pay was poor too i was on a nvq at the time.

All depends on how much you enjoy the job what time you have to get up and time you get home.

Another job i had invloved travling all around the country sometimes u would be expected to start a 12 hour shift after travling all day needless to say i only did that job for a few months even though the money was awesome.

1 hour 30 mins is a lot if its each way if your doing that 5 days a week its 15 hours a week you lose just traveling.

Soldato
From August I'll be doing 28 miles each way Monday to Friday, will probably take me about an hour or so each way. All for around £15k per year.

Ah well, it's for my placement year for my degree so worth it in the end.

Soldato
If it's on the tube/overground then I don't really mind how long it is, as long as I have some noise cancelling headphones I'm good!

I'd be quite the opposite, I couldn't stand commuting on the tube. Normal trains would be better, but there's no way I would do the tube every day.

Soldato
Mine's an easy 20min drive on 1 road for 10 miles. It's great.

I've commuted in the past for a 35min journey, and if it gets to about 50mins it begins to wear thin. For more money, or better prospects I'd commute 50mins, distance doesn't matter.

Man of Honour
I'd be quite the opposite, I couldn't stand commuting on the tube. Normal trains would be better, but there's no way I would do the tube every day.

I love the tube! :D

I've never had to commute for more than 20 minutes to get to work/school, I'd love to have a long journey, especially since I naturally wake up very early!

Soldato
Currently working 1.25hours each way away from home. Fortunately, an hour of that total comes off my actual working day so I'm always home before 5.

It can take me 45 minutes to get from one side of town to the other in rush hour. I'd much rather be strumming along the M27 / M3 at 70 for that length of time + a bit more than stuck in frustrating traffic!

Back
Top Bottom