Look what i played with today!

Associate
Just read a couple of reviews on it. Very pricey for what it is (around the £900 mark!), although IQ is meant to be top notch.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just read a couple of reviews on it. Very pricey for what it is, although IQ is meant to be top notch.

Very debatable.

It's not meant to be a substitute for a general DSLR - if you shoot street photography then there is nothing like it in the digital world that is comparable at that price point - the Leica's at that price point aren't special and the second hand M series are still way away from that price.

Soldato
One of the only digital camera's i've lusted after for a while, not that i'll ever be able to afford it and even then i'd probably get a Contax G2 kit and Hassleblad 500C/M before it, but still ;)

How far away is the firmware update that's supposed to 'fix everything'?

Soldato
One of the only digital camera's i've lusted after for a while, not that i'll ever be able to afford it and even then i'd probably get a Contax G2 kit and Hassleblad 500C/M before it, but still ;)

How far away is the firmware update that's supposed to 'fix everything'?

It was released in the last week of June, IIRC, and I don't think it "fixes everything" but it does look like it's knocked out a lot of the more egregious issues.

Such a frustrating camera — it's 90% of perfect, but the features it's lacking are so maddeningly basic and fundamental that it comes close to ruining the whole thing.

Still want one, though.

Associate
just so happened i played with one on fri too... used it to record a movie for work presentation... video recording quality was good at 720p....

I dont quite get the various modes of the viewfinder.... there is the "native" mode where it is just like a glass viewfinder, the "electronic" mode, where it will show you what the sensor sees, and then there is a kind of hybrid mode, where it overlays the image with all manner of things like virtual horizon, and a box where you will see what will be cropped out in the shot...

personally, i think it is a "confused" camera.... it doesnt know if it is meant to be a dslr, a point and shoot... you are also stuck with the 23mm lens... abit your have an AFS-c sensor....

i'd rather have a dslr for when i need one, and a compact compact for when i dont want to lug around the dslr..... but that's me....

Soldato
Not a perfect test I know, but it may be fairly indicative (maybe Raymond can confirm), below I have downsized the 5Dii and 7D image to the same size as the X100.

Note: I'd guestimate that the X100 with it's thin AA (blur) filter is actually capturing around 20-40% more resolution than it's stated 12mp's when comparing to Canon's stated mp's.
Or conversely you could say instead that the 7D-5Dii have X% less resolution due to the effect of the AA filter (usually 30% less resolution), with the 7D looking to have the strongest filter of all 3 camera's.

Below is the first sample, ISO100.
To me it looks like the X-100 is quite visibly sharper than both the 5Dii and 7D.

down1.jpg

Below is the ISO 6400 Sample, X100 still looks slightly sharper, than the 5Dii but the 5Dii looks to be dealing with the noise slightly better.

down2.jpg

Soldato
It doesn't have a patch in the middle of the viewfinder where you have to align two superimposed images to achieve focus (see this: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/leicam8/page4.asp).

You could argue that that's a focusing mechanism, not a requisite for a classification of viewfinder. It's still not TTL, and shows a larger area than the sensor sees.

It's not like a split prism is a requisite for a camera to be an SLR (not saying it shouldn't be, however ;) ).

Soldato
At the end of the day, whatever it is, it's a great camera that can deliver better IQ than most DSLR's and even has some other advantages, like being able to sync to 1/1000.
The only thing that put's me off, is that it doesn't have interchangeable lenses, if they release something like that, then it could be a DSLR replacement.

Canon or Nikon should be making such camera's as compatibility with existing lenses and TTL flashes would be amazing, and I'd much rather carry a camera around that looked like this rather than something Rebel like or bulky, as it just looks cool! :o:D

Back
Top Bottom