Lion

Associate
Hi All I know it is possible to make a bootable disk for lion. Does this mean that you can wipe your hardrive and remove snow leopard and then do a fresh install of lion from the bootable disk.

Thanks

Jeff

Soldato
Shame there isn't an option to boot into the MAS, like the built in disgnostics. That way you could hook it up to the the internet, boot into the Mac App Store and install that way. Would mean you always install the latest release so no more having to install the combo updates once you're up and running :)

Edit : Thinking about it, you should be able to netboot and install :)

Soldato
Shame there isn't an option to boot into the MAS, like the built in disgnostics. That way you could hook it up to the the internet, boot into the Mac App Store and install that way. Would mean you always install the latest release so no more having to install the combo updates once you're up and running :)

Edit : Thinking about it, you should be able to netboot and install :)

This would actually be pretty good. A bare bones install would be minimal to get you online and downloading the OS image. Install, boot, activate and the job's a good 'un.

Soldato
Indeed, is it in Lion that you can restart to Safari mode? Thereby booting to a secure browser (Safari) for things like web kiosks etc.

Sounds like an ideal option to integrate a fresh install without needing SL.

Associate
Glad there will be a way to just flat install Lion, my Windows mentality means I want everything clean with no trace of old OS install to ruin the experience... :D

This is exactly how I feel. I can't work out if it's good practice or just the 'Windows mentality', as you put it.

Soldato
The best idea would really be not having to mess around with the App store at all.
This is the OS software, not a game of Angry Birds. I think it's a bit ridiculous to have to do it this way.
I'd like a disk with the software on it and no messing around.

Soldato
So... when i buy the new MacMini and Macpro 1st week in August they will come with Snow Leopard install disk, rather than Lion... Seems a bit odd, makes me wonder at what point in the future they decide SL is out of date and instead ship the latest OS as a recovery disk?

Associate
Once installed, Lion creates a recovery partition that allows you to reinstall without the disc. Won't help if you're replacing a hard drive, but will do for people just wanting a fresh install.

Back
Top Bottom