3 Month US Photo+hiking tour

Caporegime
OP
When in Utah, you should try and fit in Zion NP as well. I preferred it to Bryce, but I know people who thought the opposite.

Hiking the narrows in Zion has been one of the best travelling experiences I have ever had.

I have been to Zion twice and I am not a big fan of the place so this time I will skip it. Although both times I have been there the narrows have been closed due to high water flow.

Will be the 2nd time to Bryce so I want to suss out some more interesting places. Last time I was a little lazy and went for the sunset shots from the rim 9although spent the whole day hiking in the canyons for 15-20miles). This time I want to be in the canyon for sunrise at 6am and instead of having photos looking into the canyon have photos looking more out and up, or across. Need do a recon mission the day before.

Caporegime
OP
Just make sure you get a decent shot of the grizzly mauling you please..!

Seriously the trip sounds awesome, we had something similar planned about 4 years ago but the Mrs forgot to take her pill before we booked it...:mad:

Jealous as hell.

Another year or 2 and I reckon the youngster wont be a problem to take round the US parks. Most of the really amazing stuff is easy walking or pull-offs from the road. The back-country stuff just gets you away form civilisation.

Associate
We will be camping right in the centre and will be leaving the camp-ground 5am to find wildlife so the morning queues wont b a problem. Bear bells and bear canisters we have, just need to buy the spray (funny because in Canada they advice you not to carry it with you).

I wish I could add Antelope canyon but I wont be able to fit it in on my first part of travelling. Reading about I think I would prefer going at a quiet period, soudns like too many tourists in the summer. Although the same can be said for most parks. I would really love to return in winter to Utah because I practically live for skiing and the Wasatch is one of the greatest places on the planet for skiing, and then the parks in winter are stunning and empty.
Utah is an amazing place, shame that 70% of the populace are Mormons and good beer is hard to find due to state laws

Ahh, those early starts will mean you should see wolves as well. There were lots of sightings in the Lamar Valley 3 weeks ago but by the time we drove from West Yellowstone they had retired for the day. Have you got a good website that logs animal sightings in Yellowstone? One thing I wish I'd known was what was sighted the previous day so I could plan what trails to hit the following. I ended up getting info from Ranger stations as we passed through the various areas.

Antelope Canyon was a mixed bag. It was overcast on the day we visited upper so there was no chance of getting the shafts of light and it's so crowded that unless you have a guide/friends helping to keep back the flow of people your shots are compromised. Lower was excellent, pay for a photo pass and you get 2 hrs on your own to explore and shoot as much as you like. If that's not enough time, pop up and ask for an hour extension and they are cool. Had the canyon to myself for 40 mins.

Had the same experience with the narrows in Zion, closed due to high water flow. Didn't hike in Bryce but I could see that there was lots of potential.

Caporegime
OP
I think I have a walk in the Lamar valley planned, either that or Hayden (one of them has bear restrictions and requires a group of 4 people, being my and my GF we chose the other valley). We definitely plan to speak to the rangers. In my experience if you chat 20 minutes to a ranger and sound sensible he will divulge lots of extra details, tit-bits and secret inside info.

thanks for the Antelope canyon tips. I might contact you if I organise a second trip to Utah in September.

Soldato
Sounds like it should be a great trip. Hope you get loads of shots. I won't be seeing Yellowstone or Utah etc, but next year I will be spending 6 months hiking in the US backcountry. I will be walking from Mexico to Canada along the pacific crest trail. Can't wait for it! Unfortunately my DSLR is far too heavy to take, so I am using it as an excuse to get an Olympus pen. :D

Associate
I think I have a walk in the Lamar valley planned, either that or Hayden (one of them has bear restrictions and requires a group of 4 people, being my and my GF we chose the other valley). We definitely plan to speak to the rangers. In my experience if you chat 20 minutes to a ranger and sound sensible he will divulge lots of extra details, tit-bits and secret inside info.

thanks for the Antelope canyon tips. I might contact you if I organise a second trip to Utah in September.

I agree, Rangers are great to chat to but it's funny how they all tell the same bear jokes. Deffo drop me a line if you want any advice on Antelope.

I think you'lll be fine with the 70-200mm + TC for the majority of the trip. I used a 100-400 throughout and apart from some nesting cranes and a black bear with 2 cubs it was never at the 400 end.

Have a great trip !!

Soldato
do you have anyone that could lend you the money for 3 months to buy a used lens to then sell on at the end? Or perhaps even an interest free credit card + paypal to buy a used lens.

It seems a really once in a lifetime (and expensive!) trip to find yourself cursing at the lack of length, you really need much more focal imo for this kinda trip, especially since you've mentioned birds etc.

Other than that, sounds absolutely amazing.

Caporegime
OP
Well I have had my eye on buying a 300mm f4.0 for several months and had 700CHF (like 500GBP) in vouchers to spend at a local camera shop which sells 2nd hand but no lens came up (normally they have 1 a week). Then I just ran out of time to organsie anything.
I would buy new but it is almost a guarantee that the new Nikon 300mm f4.0 will be released this summer.

While it is certainly an amazing trip I hope it wont literly be a once in a lifetime opertunity. There is a very strong chance I will be living in the US. My long term GF has a job there, i am looking for employment there also and have an interview in August (which i am conveninetly turning into a 2nd photo trip).

The other thing is weight. My cabin bag is 13kg already with only the most expensive glass. Most of the flights warn of 8kg cabin limits so hopefully no one will check.

Our holiday wont be too expensive, flights paid for by GF's employer so just some internal flights and a car rental. We are camping, which is $10-12 a night for 2 of us and will cook lots of our own food.

Anyway, got to finish packing...

Caporegime
OP
Recently finished the first part of the trip. In a word, amazing! Some technical problems (camera bag took a large fall which made my 70-200 perform a little strange and when combined with a TC would backfocus by 5m...) but was very lucky with the wildlife (glad I took a 70-300 as a backup). I have some good photos of black and grizzly bears, moose including some large bulls, coyotes, big horn sheep, pronghorn, buffalo, beaver, Elk, mule dear, pitkas, yellow bellied marmots, red squirrels, cotton tails, plus the usual small rodents that chase you down like chipmunks and ground squirrels. Saw some wolves in the far far distance.

A few opertunities for landscapes but as I am learning more and more, landscape photography is incredibly challenging and requires years of persistence with a good measure of luck to get the results. The weather was either very clear which led to fairly benign sunrises, or very cloudy and rainy but not in an interesting way. Large parts of the desert trip we had low cloud and rain which made for 1 large softbox which was a little dull. Got lucky in Arches after an evening storm passed giving 10 minutes of amazing lighting, but mostly I was getting up at 4am and some serious hiking and scrambling and being treated to cloud, haze or otherwise dull lighting. The wildlife photos were relatively easy to get, drive around from 6-9am and you were bound to find something of interest. Funnilly enough, the weather in the Tetons and Yellowstone was very good, in the moab desett there was a lot of rain - not thunderstorms, just british style rain for 12 hours.

Currently I'm sorting out some job interviews so no real time to edit, plus on a cheap laptop it is hard to get any colour or exposure accuracy.

Here is a taster though:
6023192566_711a55600d_b.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom