OS X 10.7 (Lion) GM Released

Associate
a lot of members on the macrumors forums are complaining massively about huge RAM usage. Whilst it is worse than SL, it isn't too bad for me. I am very annoyed about them ditching spaces, mission control sucks IMO.

Caporegime
a lot of members on the macrumors forums are complaining massively about huge RAM usage. Whilst it is worse than SL, it isn't too bad for me. I am very annoyed about them ditching spaces, mission control sucks IMO.

They haven't ditched spaces though? Just how you access them.

Mission control is good I find, I just got very very used to expose - I imagine you'll get used to it :p

Associate
I've turned my gestures off to be honest, I've never been a fan of them, I've got a magic mouse so they could be used there, but I just decide not to use them, they're just not for me.

I do think it is running a lot faster than it's previous counter part (SL), the boot times are increased, loading times do actually seem to be quicker, which I thought was very surprising.

I don't really use Mission control all that much but it is a nifty piece of software to use, if you're multitasking that much that you've got that many windows going on at once.

Launch pad? I hate it, i'm not going to get my applications through there, i'm just going to go through the normal way of getting them through the folder on my desktop, that's just not for me.

Granted, I've only got a Mac Mini, 2.4ghz, 8gbs of ram so my system isn't exactly high spec, but it still runs reasonably well considering.

I'll be getting either a MBP or an iMac towards september, so i cannot wait for that, that will be so much better and the hardware will be much better then (Will on the imac not so much on the mbp).

Caporegime
Launch pad? I hate it, i'm not going to get my applications through there, i'm just going to go through the normal way of getting them through the folder on my desktop, that's just not for me.

Tbh I can't see myself using Launch Pad at all - spotlight keyboard shortcut then application name - done. Quickest way I find!

Yeah, from the installer?

Dunno to be honest, haven't looked! Might be a seperate thing you have to buy.

Soldato
Well I've got my optibay, old 320Gb from the MBP and 80GB X25-M ready to test Lion.

For a number of reasons I won't be putting Lion on my MP for a while until im happy everything plays ball.

Namely: UnRAID AFP.

Associate
Any of you naughty people running with the new full disk encryption turned on? any issues?

I have 10.7 (GM) Installed and I am using the Full Drive Encryption feature in the new OS. But when I go to boot into Windows 7 it gets me to the desktop and then about 5 seconds later a blue screen of death appears and then restarts.

I have never had this problem before so I am guessing it might be the drive encryption which is built into 10.7.

So I am now decrypting my drive and then I will try to boot into Windows again to see if the problem has being resolved.

This is what i posted on Macrumours. It's the only problem I have had with the Full Drive Encryption (If that is the problem). Still decrypting my drive...6 hours later:(

Associate
OP
Just installed Lion GM and now mBox isn't working in Mail.app. Boo. Have sent the developers an email, see what they come back with. I hate the fact that Microsoft have no support other than pop for Hotmail on Mac.

Edit: Also System Profiler said that Trim wasn't on for my SSD.

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
I have just repatched it with trim enabler. Seems to work on lion too.

There are quite a few little issues with this "Golden Master".

I am a little surprised that the full launch is happening in a week. Finder has a few bugs, the gestures control needs a little work, memory usage etc.

Im pretty annoyed about the recovery partition. I have a 120gb SSD and dont want to have a timemachine backup and 10-15 gb of recovery partition.

Last edited:
Associate
Im pretty annoyed about the recovery partition. I have a 120gb SSD and dont want to have a timemachine backup and 10-15 gb of recovery partition.

I upgraded my Snow Leopard install, and don't appear to have a recovery partition (which on my only-120GB boot drive is handy).

I was a massive exposé user - and was using quite a few spaces too, and wasn't looking forward to mission control. Turns out it's better than I imagined, and actually I quite like it. Being able to create spaces on the fly is pretty neat.

Overall, much happier with it than I thought I would be. I also think Launchpad is awful and pointless, but I use Alfred to launch all my apps anyway - and it does sit out of the way.

The new gestures are going to take some getting used to.

Back
Top Bottom