A medical Miracle!

Caporegime
Metabolism cannot account for such large discrepancies. Drugs which reduce weight by increasing metabolism like DNP nearly kill you from hyperthermia and they don't alter it that much.

it does count for a fair amount of it though.

When on olanzapine + mirtazapine i gained a fair bit of fat despite doing a lot of exercise, yet after coming off the pills I lost weight despite doing less exercise and eating the exact same amount.

Soldato

When on olanzapine + mirtazapine i gained a fair bit of fat despite doing a lot of exercise, yet after coming off the pills I lost weight despite doing less exercise and eating the exact same amount.

Quite true, I've always had a fast metabolism + I now have Crohn's disease so my stomach doesn't digest some foods properly meaning I don't get all the calories. In my case calories in > calories burned but my weight stays the same as my body doesn't actually process a lot of the calories in. :p

Permabanned
Well it seems according to some of ocuk experts, the various dieticians, physicians and fitness trainers who helped me lose significant weight were wrong, and eating regular small meals and regular excercise doesn't actually work.

You are better off eating large carb saturated meals late a night, doing little or no exercise while following fad diets and counting arbitrary point values so you can eat whatever you want without feeling guilty and of course metabolism has nothing to do with your weight.

God knows where that eleven stone disappeared to then......it must be around here somewhere:p

Associate

I had the same problem with Olanzapine. It was brand new when I was put on it, they now know it it causes insulin resistance (you can't burn stored fat with high amounts of serum insulin fact). When insulin resistant your body pumps out large amounts to deal with highs but this leads to rebound lows which makes you hungry as the brain is starved of fuel.

Having said all this I'm sure a lot of these people have caused the problems themselves by over eating.

Man of Honour
Well it seems according to some of ocuk experts, the various dieticians, physicians and fitness trainers who helped me lose significant weight were wrong, and eating regular small meals and regular excercise doesn't actually work.

You are better off eating large carb saturated meals late a night, doing little or no exercise while following fad diets and counting arbitrary point values so you can eat whatever you want without feeling guilty and of course metabolism has nothing to do with your weight.

God knows where that eleven stone disappeared to then......it must be around here somewhere:p

Haha, I did tell you :p

I think it's best to conclude that the thing to bare in mind most is your calorie intake - to lose mass, calories in must be less than calories out. However, what calories out is going to be will vary to extents based on your height, weight, activity levels, your metabolism (which may vary depending on how much you eat and how frequently). That's not even touching on how to ensure that mass lost is fat and not desirable muscle!

Therefore it's a good idea to pick a programme, weigh yourself in every week or two and change your programme accordingly.

Associate

Jes 11 Stone well done you. Post your story if you havent already thats epic weight loss there. Might help some people here

Caporegime
I had the same problem with Olanzapine. It was brand new when I was put on it, they now know it it causes insulin resistance (you can't burn stored fat with high amounts of serum insulin fact). When insulin resistant your body pumps out large amounts to deal with highs but this leads to rebound lows which makes you hungry as the brain is starved of fuel.

ah cool good to know :p

Were you worried when you read the "side effect" part of the leflet that comes with it.

under "very frequent :weight gain"

under "rare : sudden unexplained death."

>.<

Permabanned
Haha, I did tell you :p

I think it's best to conclude that the thing to bare in mind most is your calorie intake - to lose mass, calories in must be less than calories out. However, what calories out is going to be will vary to extents based on your height, weight, activity levels, your metabolism (which may vary depending on how much you eat and how frequently). That's not even touching on how to ensure that mass lost is fat and not desirable muscle!

Therefore it's a good idea to pick a programme, weigh yourself in every week or two and change your programme accordingly.

Lol, you weren't kidding!

You should do what works for you. However I'll lay money that for the majority of people who have lost weight and kept it off, they have eaten a balance regular diet with regular exercise.

Probably not quite as intensive or drastic as my personal programme, but all things being equal if you do those two things you will undoubtably lose weight. Medical conditions and prescribed medication aside.

Associate
ah cool good to know :p

Were you worried when you read the "side effect" part of the leflet that comes with it.

under "very frequent :weight gain"

under "rare : sudden unexplained death."

>.<

I was in hospital most of the time I was on that one so didn't really read the leaflets. I think amisulpride was the worst for me as I had paradoxical effects from it, so was taken off maintenance meds for a few weeks. I was itching to get the fast acting but low duration anti-psychotics and sedatives ever 4 hours and hoping I'd last so I wouldn't be pinned and jabbed.

Soldato
Talking of medical miracles!!:D

4 stones in less than 10 minutes:)

In all seriousness, when I read this story, I thought exactly the same as you.
I've never really been over weight, 12.5 stones @ 5'6" but for the last few months I decided to sort my self out in terms of diet, excercise etc. Now down to 11 stones 10 lbs and still falling.
As you quite rightly point out, it isn't easy & requires discipline & effort but it is possible.

I don't think you actually read it properly mate.

But anyway, agree with all the above. These super obese people should be angry at their family and friends shovelling food into their faces, but they still shouldn't glug it down, obviously.

Soldato

Might be stuck to the black hole of zero point gravity known as a gastric band, magically thinning fat folks since before time itself.

Associate

Give me the names of these experts. The regular meals myth is just that, an outdated myth. Regular exercise is definitely not required for the vast majority of people to lose weight. And no, for most people, their metabolism plays very little in the matter of weight loss. Many people think they have low or high metabolism, when in fact they just don't realize how much or little they eat. I can't think of anybody on OcUK who is an expert, or has the knowledge of an expert, who thinks that regular meals, exercise, or the matter of metabolism are all essential to weight loss (for the average person).

Last edited:
Associate
yep olanzapine hated that and just come of quetiapine too not only the weight gain but the zombie effect

since xmas ive gone up to about 25 stone now was around 20 at the start of the year with me its in me head when im not depressed im fine exercise go out and eat normaly

years ago i went in the loony bin at about 15 stone hadnt eaten for months, maybe once a week. was a speed freak and skin and bone usual weight i was 19 to 20 stone might seem a lot but working as a steel erector for years and doing weights was a reason for being big
as for the bmi saying my ideal weight is 14 stone is a laugh tbh

when i went in at 15 stone found out that if you dont eat your body eats muscle and stores the fat
suffer a lotta memory probs too and forgot waht i was gonna get to say but this is my story lol

Soldato
Give me the names of these experts. The regular meals myth is just that, an outdated myth. Regular exercise is definitely not required for the vast majority of people to lose weight. And no, for most people, their metabolism plays very little in the matter of weight loss. Many people think they have low or high metabolism, when in fact they just don't realize how much or little they eat. I can't think of anybody on OcUK who is an expert, or has the knowledge of an expert, who thinks that regular meals, exercise, or the matter of metabolism are all essential to weight loss (for the average person).

In person i've only ever seen fat people say that exercise isn't needed to loose weight. On the contrary I have many friends who gym it and have very little fat on them with exception of one who body builds and thats because he's eating about 8 times a day. But I guess the fact he's eating easily over 5000 callories a day and not huge has nothing to do with exercise either right?

Then again, I'm not an expert so I presume it's a huge coincidence. I think exercise is needed because people don't see gains fast enough without it and go back on the food again or simply can't get off it to begin with. If someone isn't willing to exercise to help loose the weight they probably don't have the will power to make a long term difference through diet alone either from personal experience. Of course there are always exceptions but being the exception doesn't make your experiences the rule ;)

Last edited:
Permabanned

They are called the NHS, and two RSM PT instructors from the Royal Marines.

Frankly mate you are talking nonsense. Take it from someone who lost 11 stone in 12 months by following advice from trained medical professionals (you know the ones, they have Dr before their names and various letters referring to medical degrees after their name)

And now for the Science bit....

http://www.nature.com/oby/journal/v16/n6/full/oby2008203a.html

Eating meals regularly is inversely associated to the metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance, and (high) serum concentrations of gamma-glutamyl transferase. These findings suggest that eating meals irregularly may be part of several potential environmental risk factors that are associated with the metabolic syndrome and may have future implications in giving dietary advice to prevent and/or treat the syndrome.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/07/080722090056.htm

Metabolic syndrome is a condition whereby multiple risk factors for cardiovascular disease and diabetes accumulate in one and the same individual. The chances of developing the components of the syndrome – abdominal obesity, hypertension, dyslipidemia, and glucose intolerance – are affected by several lifestyle factors, of which diet is thought to be one of the most important.

Scientists at Karolinska Institutet have now, for the first time, showed that the frequency of meals, regardless of their content, affects the chances of developing metabolic syndrome. The study, which was based on a survey and medical examination of over four thousand 60-year old men and women, shows that irregular eating is associated with a higher risk of metabolic syndrome.

Soldato
11 stone in 12 months is a pretty big achievement. Put it on your C.V , shows a lot more dedication than a lot of achievements people put on their C.V's. In fact if I remember rightly you have quite a nice job, can't remember what it was.

Associate
NHS, Science Daily & Nature.
Link reliable sources only please. How many people have metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance and high concentrations of gamma-glutamyl transferase? I was talking about your average Joe. Just because somebody has the title of Dr. does not mean that they are a trusted source when it comes to losing weight. Should I start linking to articles that backup my beliefs? You will find articles from all kinds of sources for any myth regarding weight loss/muscle gain. The trick is finding which ones are truthful and which ones are not. I simply stated that exercise is not a requirement to lose weight, the regular meal idea is no more backed up than the Intermittent Fasting approach, that for MOST people, their metabolic rate is not particularly high or low, and is not a large factor in weight loss. If you're that caught up in what the NHS tell you, I feel sorry for you.

E: I was not suggesting that IF was the way to live your life, only that increasing your meal frequency and decreasing your meal size was not essential, not much of a contributing factor to weight loss.

Permabanned
Link reliable sources only please. How many people have metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance and high concentrations of gamma-glutamyl transferase? I was talking about your average Joe. Just because somebody has the title of Dr. does not mean that they are a trusted source when it comes to losing weight. Should I start linking to articles that backup my beliefs? You will find articles from all kinds of sources for any myth regarding weight loss/muscle gain. The trick is finding which ones are truthful and which ones are not. I simply stated that exercise is not a requirement to lose weight, the regular meal idea is no more backed up than the Intermittent Fasting approach, that for MOST people, their metabolic rate is not particularly high or low, and is not a large factor in weight loss. If you're that caught up in what the NHS tell you, I feel sorry for you.

E: I was not suggesting that IF was the way to live your life, only that increasing your meal frequency and decreasing your meal size was not essential, not much of a contributing factor to weight loss.

And what I am saying is that if you eat regularly and move about some then you will burn more calories more efficiently and you will lose weight compared to someone in similar circumstances who does not. For MOST people simply eating breakfast and a smaller evening meal and walking to work instead of taking the car will see them lose a few pounds.

Given the rising incidence of Type2 Diabetes and Impaired Glucose Tolerance the efficacy of eating smaller, balanced, regular meals which has been proven to lower overall blood sugar levels and facilitate the steady release of insulin which in turn allows the body to be more efficient at using Glucose without cells become intolerant to or impairing the production of Insulin.

I do not recall saying anything about the absolute requirement to do any of these things, I only stated that the only sure way that anyone can lose weight is by eating a balanced diet regularly and by exercising regularly.

There are other ways to lose weight, however they are individual dependent and what may work for one person may not work for another (and lets not forget that being slim doesn't necessarily mean you are healthy or fit).

Eating three (or more) balanced, healthy meals a day at regular intervals with enough exercise to see a calorie deficit will (medical conditions/medication notwithstanding) lead to weight loss.

That is a verifiable and proven fact.

As for reliable sources, I should think that those I quoted were reputable sources given that Nature is one of the foremost science journals in the world. Also recent studies suggest that one in four adults in the UK may have Metabolic Syndrome with many more borderline.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom