Spec me pretty please!

Soldato
Hey guys,

HAven't kept at all up to date with hardware in the last few years, so I'm way behind on what's good and what's awful, and even what the current "leaders" are in the market.

Anyway I'm looking to build a gaming PC on a moderate budget of about £500, though I could stretch that a little further if it's for a significant upgrade.

I have a keyboard and mouse, and a bad quality monitor. I don't need a harddrive. If anyone could squeeze a good monitor (widescreen, preferably 22" or more) that would be awesome, but the focus is really on the components. I just hate being stuck with a 19" 1280x1040 native :(

So quick summary - need mobo, graphics card, RAM, PSU, CPU, Case for roughly £500. A good monitor too if it fits in.

All on OCUK please! Free shipping for me ^_^

Thanks muchly in advance, and sorry for what's probably "yet another" spec me thread!

Associate
For another £50 or so, you could get an i5 2500K and a P67 board. It's a fair jump, but the 2500K is significantly faster at stock, and absolutely blistering when you overclock it by 50% if you put an aftermarket cooler on it for another £20, now or later.

Soldato
For another £50 or so, you could get an i5 2500K and a P67 board. It's a fair jump, but the 2500K is significantly faster at stock, and absolutely blistering when you overclock it by 50% if you put an aftermarket cooler on it for another £20, now or later.

Yeah, totally agree with this. It'll be worth the investment in the long run over the i5 2400/H67. A basic cooler such as the Gelid Tranquillo will set you back about £25. Consider a 24" monitor if space allows...it all adds up rather quickly though.:(

Soldato
OP
Nah I have Windows 7 :)

Looking around it looks like the cheapest 24" I'd get is an additional £40 minimum, so I could maybe stretch up to get something slightly improved. Everything else looks pretty awesome... I'll be picking something up in the next week or 2, so I'll be able to see any deals on the way, and any improvements on what's here :)

EDIT: Also the other upgrades might be doable if I leave the Monitor at a lower cost. However I'm not an overclocking kind of guy (too scared :p ), so it'd be running at stock anyway.

Back
Top Bottom