Motorola Xoom successor to have a quad core CPU and 2048X1536 screen?

Associate
Sorry CAT, I don't get your issue. The link you've posted is more about a successor to Motorola Xoom, than it is about Kal-El. And if people have had bad experience with Motorola, then of course they are going to take the opportunity to have a jab (and from what I've seen it's kept pretty civilised anyway). The other place is no different, news reports about Apple or Sony Xperia hardware are very prone to comment that are strictly speaking OT.

Man of Honour
I think the point is that all next gen tablets will have these sort of specs, so you shouldn't have to inflict a Motorola device on yourself.

Soldato
For me it was between the Xoom and the ipad2, I went for the Xoom, I get my support from the XDA forums, but certainly wouldnt look at another Moto product..

Associate
I am a relatively new Xoom owner and don't get the hate that this product seems to bring out in people. When I was looking into getting a tablet, I went and had a hands on session with the majority of what was out there and I have to say that I found that the Xoom pretty much ticked all the right boxes for me. The only real competition was the Samsung but that fell by the wayside due to lack of micro-SD storage as well as HDMI out. Apart from the weight of the Xoom (it certainly aint the lightest out there) I found it to be pretty much spot on and has been one of the best purchases I have made in a long time. I must confess I haven't got round to rooting it yet but am enjoying it 'as is' for the time being. I assume that since I had 3.2 on it that I have simply missed out on most of what people seem to be raging about - I just don't understand the animosity for this product - I love it!!

Soldato
This is not a Motorola support thread. If you want to whinge about Motorola perhaps starting another thread would be a better idea.

I am more interested in the fact that this is the first Android tablet which seems to have a high resolution screen,a quad core CPU and probably a decent GPU. If Motorola is working on such a device hopefully it means other companies are doing so ATM.

The iPad3 is going to have a high resolution display too. Perhaps,its time more Android tablets started to come out with such displays too and greater GPU power.

Imagine if an Android tablet with a 2048X1536 screen,fast dual core and a decent GPU had already been released now?? It would have definitely given Android tablets a bit more of a "wow" factor.

ATM,too many of the Android tablets seem reactionary and only the Asus Eee Transformer seems to be trying to do something different.

Judging by the benchmarks nvidia released the GPU is hardly classed as 'decent', especially when you're talking about comparing it to the iPad3 which will have *at least* the SGX543MP2 (eg the Apple A5 SoC) which is better than the Tegra 3 GPU quite comfortably. If Apple get the A6 sorted it's going to be a step higher again, one thing you can say about Apple is their SoC's are seriously powerful on the GPU side...

I like the idea of higher res screens, so can't complain too much with that, but do we need such a high res? or would a ~1080p SAMOLED+ give a better experience? (if Samsung could even make one with enough yield to release it...)

Soldato
I am a relatively new Xoom owner...

The transformer has better support, screen (IPS), updates, and suffered from less general woes than the Xoom. The Xoom for the longest time had a screen buffer issue which would make things stutter. A lot of the same arguments can be made for the tab 10.

Now you could argue that a lot of this is down to the fact that the Xoom was out first and was the first 3.0 tablet which is a fair comment but once the rest came out Motorola pretty much all but dropped support for EMEA and Asia for some reason on what is considered the "pure" 3.0 experience.

It's not a bad device and you certainly shouldn't feel bad about it at all, it's just that Motorola made a bit of an arse of it and the "opportunity" to win hearts and minds with a killer device was lost. If you think back to how Samsung and HTC support their phones (which in all honesty, is very good) and then you think about Moto, it's not hard to see why there are some miffed faces.

Soldato
I guess the wife skipped all this Xoom hate as I got hers from Ebay and it was a US model.

Seems that was a bit of good luck.

She loves it, it completely replaced her Laptop pretty much the day I gave it to her.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom