Apple TV 2 w/ XBMC

Associate
Hey,

Does anyone here have an ATV2 running XBMC? I'm interested in getting one but I've got a few questions first...

Can it playback @ 1080p?
If it can't playback at 1080p, how is 720p?
Can it pass through DTS & Dolby?
Are the current, on-sale models Jailbreakable?
Does it play .mkv's fine?

That's about it!

Soldato
ive it running xbmc on the latest firmware

i have 1080 movies and they pay no problem at all
mkv's are also no issue

i was very unsure about apple tv when i first got it, but jailbreak it and use nitotv and xbmc and its like a whole new world

Soldato
I've been too lazy to JB mine, but it appears like Apple deliberately released it with a lot of locked stuff, and are slowly letting it become more functional and feature rich with updates. iOS 5 brings bluetooth support and FaceTime over Airplay. Might JB it once there's one for 5.0 since I'll have my server up and running, unless they start adding more apps to the thing officially.

Soldato
Mine struggles with high bit rate bluray rips but normal 720p and 1080p stuff is fine, nice, neat piece of equipment, if they bring a 1080p capable one with a beefier processor I will have one for my living room in a shot

Soldato
They showed back in September that it was capable of playing 1080p trailers off Apple.com but scaled them down to 720p on the display. It wouldn't surprise me that once they start offering iTunes content in 1080p that they'll be an update that will unlock it on the ATV2. It's not full on high bit rate BD (I think it's 10mbps or something), but then even in 2011, iTunes music is still all 320 AAC rather than ALAC, which is why I still have to buy CDs. Sigh. I imagine for the vast majority of people it won't matter whether it's full on BD quality, as long as it says 1080p...

Associate
I invested in an Apple TV earlier this year which is Jailbroke with XBMC and it really is a great piece of equipment. I do have issues with streaming high quality stuff but ive been told that it is because the machine im streaming from is pretty poorly spec'd.

A guy at work streams his media from a NAS box and can stream high res media without issues.

Soldato
I bought an Apple TV in the US so it worked out at about £65, which is a bargain. When jailbroken and with XBMC it works well as a media player in the bedroom!

Soldato
I have also been thinking about getting an Apple TV 2- My only worry is that a lot of people san you can only stream from a Mac - not from a PC. This is a problem for me as all my stuff is on a PC.

If I were to JB it - would it allow be to stream from a PC as well?

(Sorry for Hi-jacking the post! ) :cool:

Soldato
I have also been thinking about getting an Apple TV 2- My only worry is that a lot of people san you can only stream from a Mac - not from a PC. This is a problem for me as all my stuff is on a PC.

If I were to JB it - would it allow be to stream from a PC as well?

(Sorry for Hi-jacking the post! ) :cool:

I stream all my content from my WHS and my main windows pc through iTunes, even before jailbreaking (obviously needs to be jailbroken to stream mkv's etc)

Soldato
Okay great - what about Avis etc?

I have a crap load of content on my pc spanning a few drives. At the moment I am using my Xbox to connect to the PC and play the content - however I can't play .mkv files and a few other types as well.

Was hoping the above was possible with a JB Apple TV 2?

Also the WiFi option is really appealing to me - one less wire running around the room! :cool:

Associate
Sorry for the hijack. I'm thinking of switching to an Apple tv from a revo.

How easy is it to Jailbreak the apple tv? What's the latest version of the apple tv software does it keep pace with the iphone so 4.3.4? Will it be getting IOS5? Is iplayer possible?

Soldato
WoW !
My ATV 2 is just getting better and better
Just installed navi-x, and watched the shuttle landing on 720p
this has got to be the best £99 ever spent

How easy is it to Jailbreak the apple tv? What's the latest version of the apple tv software does it keep pace with the iphone so 4.3.4? Will it be getting IOS5? Is iplayer possible?

Very easy, look at THIS GUYS channel, he helped me no end with all my ATV2 related questions, very very helpful guy, also on twitter too
His channel has everything you need to know about the JB, and stuff you need to install to get the most out of the box.
If you thought ATV2 is good out of the box, your going to be blown away when you JB it

Last edited:
Associate
WoW !
My ATV 2 is just getting better and better
Just installed navi-x, and watched the shuttle landing on 720p
this has got to be the best £99 ever spent

Very easy, look at THIS GUYS channel, he helped me no end with all my ATV2 related questions, very very helpful guy, also on twitter too
His channel has everything you need to know about the JB, and stuff you need to install to get the most out of the box.
If you thought ATV2 is good out of the box, your going to be blown away when you JB it

Thx that's superb help. :)

Back
Top Bottom