Samsung SpinPoint driving me mad.

Soldato
I have 2 * Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA-II 32MB drives and there is a very annoying vibration that transmits through the case as a humming that goes up and down, my case is a fractal and very quite it's starting to drive me mad i have tried various methods to make the noise go but still comes back even tried the aromatic acoustic management but the sound still bugs me late at night.

So can some one recommend me 2 x tb drives with out this vibration please.

Thanks jay.

Associate
Although this is probably unique to me, I've had this kind of annoyance from all 7200rpm drives - certain parts of the room are very resonant, and it drives me mad too when it needs the occasional overnight session.

Looking to throw out the RAID array (3 x F3s) when SSDs get closer to £1/GB. The 5400rpm data drives give me no trouble, almost impossible to hear.

Soldato
Here's an old suspension of mine.

hd.jpg

and a more recent one.

suspendedhdd.jpg

It works. Big time. The top drive is a Samsung F3 1TB, the other two Western Digital 500GB 7,200rpm units. The WD units didn't vibrate very much and were fine on silicone but the Samsung sent nasty vibrations through my P183 case. This mod totally (near enough anyway) isolates vibration from your case and stops that nasty resonance. A couple of hours well spent.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks people done the bungee mod tonight so now my fractal case is megga quite only thing now is my key board is a little loud when typing :D

I remember the this mod many years back just thought it was not needed now day's but obviously not.

Cheers philtorrens for your quick reply and link which set me on the track last night.

Doing a search before my post i see this seems to be a common problem with this drive but well worth the mod as they are very quick and well priced.

cheers jay.

Associate
I've recently bought (and returned) two 7200RPM drives as they had this same issue. I've also got a fractacl case; would you be able to post a pic of your bungie in the fractal?

I'm going to order another drive today and if that one hums too, i'm going to bungie it.

Back
Top Bottom