• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Temps for i5?

Soldato
Hi
Just set up my computer, and first thing I did was go into bios and check temps

Noticed on idle they are around 50-55? I'm guessing this is not normal?

It's an i5 2400 on stock cooler

Associate
Does seem high, but not extremely so. I'd expect closer to 40 with stock at idle, going up to about 60-65 at full tilt. Sure there is enough TIM and the heatsink is on firmly?

Soldato
OP
Is tim the paste? It was sort of split into 3 parts under the cooler, and i clipped the fan on hard as i could so i aint sure why its this high

i might in a while buy a better cooler

Soldato
Is tim the paste? It was sort of split into 3 parts under the cooler, and i clipped the fan on hard as i could so i aint sure why its this high

It sounds like a TIM issue as the paste should not have split into 3 parts.

But it equally could be that the HS wasn't making full contact with the CPU.

Clean the HS and CPU and then reseat the HS. Only apply a small rice/pea sized blob onto the surface of the CPU and then attach the HS.

Pressure and heat will spread the gunk - and as long as the HS is fixed properly your temps will reduce dramatically.

Additional: if you want bang for buck then the Thermalright Hyper 212 @ £20 is fantastic. But if you can go up to ~£25 the the Gelid Tranquillo is my personal favourite in that price bracket.

Associate
That TIM application is normal for the stock cooler. In the BIOS the temperatures will be higher than idle, in the BIOS the chip is unable to use any kind of power saving features like Speedstep or even halt states so it's roughly the equivalent of 1/3 to 1/2 load in terms of temperatures. Check the load temperatures in Windows, idle temperatures really don't mean much.
As long as all four push pins are seated correctly you'll be fine. Should be around 30-40C idle, 60-75C under load depending on your chip's VID, case cooling and ambient temperature.

Soldato
That TIM application is normal for the stock cooler.

If the TIM separation was before the cooler was put in place and not after then as CapUnlikely mentioned this is normal - if it was after you removed the cooler it's a problem.

Having said that, either way your idle temps are high and, as mentioned before, i suspect your HS isn't making full contact with your CPU.

You could confirm this by stress testing the CPU while monitoring the temps via Core Temp at the same time. If they start approaching late 80s shut down the test and reseat the HS - prefereably in the way i described above. ANd make sure all 4 pins are fully depressed and attached to the MB - usuing the diagonal method of fixing.

If you haven't got any spare TIM you could try a reseat without reapplying any paste - just loosen the HS and re-affix straight away. This isn't ideal but if you're load temps are as high as i think they might be you'll have nothing to lose - as a reseat with full contact will give you better temps than you have now (if it is a contact problem.)

Last edited:
Soldato
And what are the temps under load?

Run prime for a few minutes while monitoring Real Temp - and remember to stop the test if your temps start to go above 85.

Soldato
They seem to be staying around ~70

You can breathe easy for a bit.

You just have unusually high idle temps, and although this isn't ideal, it's nothing to worry about - as the load temps are what's important and yours are within tolerance.

Although...

Noticed on idle they are around 50-55? I'm guessing this is not normal?

...these are excessivly high idle temps, even for a stock cooler, at stock settings so i suspect you could reduce all your temps with a reseat.

EDIT: but your latest idle temps are not so bad - are these the norm now? - If so ~40 degrees idle with 70 degrees load isn't anything to worry about with a stock cooler.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm glad! The thing i hate is having to pull it all back out and mess about with it :(

I think in the near future I will just get a better heat sink, just because i can :p and then i can rest assure knowing it's perfectly fine

thanks! :D

Soldato
I think in the near future I will just get a better heat sink, just because i can :p and then i can rest assure knowing it's perfectly fine

thanks! :D

No worries.

The Hyper or the Gelid are both worthy buys and you should see a dramitic decrease in your temps. (Both come with gunk - the hyper pre-applied the Gelid comes with a small tube.)

Back
Top Bottom