Native NTFS support in Snow Leopard

• Thread starter Deleted member 651465
  • Start date

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Hey all,

I've got a Sandisk USB drive (64GB) that I use for work backups. The drive is formatted in NTFS because some files and installation backups are over 4GB. Anyway, I need to connect the drive to my Mac and move some files / transfer new files on.

I've read the guides on how to enable native NTFS support using Terminal, and done all that, but when I mount the drive I still get read only access.

Does anyone have a known working guide?

Soldato
I've heard bad things about the native driver. It's not enabled for good reason.

I'm sticking with Fuse/NTFS-3G for now.

Agreed, I had a few kernel panics whilst using the native NTFS driver. It wasn't long before I reversed the changes! This was on a brand new 10.6.6 installation, too.

For speed, go with Tuxera (the commercial version of NTFS-3G). Super fast and super stable :)

If you're still certain you want to use the native driver, this is the walk-through I used. :p

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
Agreed, I had a few kernel panics whilst using the native NTFS driver. It wasn't long before I reversed the changes! This was on a brand new 10.6.6 installation, too.

For speed, go with Tuxera (the commercial version of NTFS-3G). Super fast and super stable :)

If you're still certain you want to use the native driver, this is the walk-through I used. :p

That's the walkthrough I used too :confused::p

Thanks for the replies all.

Caporegime
Mac noob alert. I installed 3G-NTFS on my friends MBP yesterday - worked fine with her FAT32 external. I reformatted her external to NTFS as having a <4Gb file size limit wouldn't suit her needs. When we plugged the external back into the MBP - it came up with an error and wouldn't open the NTFS partition. I have just installed Turexa and everything is fine but I assumed I would have to uninstall 3G-NTFS, only problem is I can't find it in applications.

Two questions. Why have people got both programs installed? Is there a free third party solution to reading NTFS partitions?

Many thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom