*** The OS X Lion Thread ***

Associate
for as an upgrade i'm in the same boat, seems sluggish in comparison to snow leopard, seems to have pregnant pauses a reboot fixes the issues but thats far from ideal this is on a iMac C2D 2.66 8Gb ram

V F

V F

Soldato
I think you may be suffering from Rose-tinted glasses. 10.6.0 was far from perfect. :D

My favourite was the guest account problem.

magicianpoofdisappearin.jpg

Associate
Anyone manage to duel boot into windows 7 yet on lion?

Yes i got it to work. I made a couple of posts on here about the issues i was having getting windows and lion on the same HDD.

After a couple of complete reinstalls i got it to work. I dont totally know what i was doing wrong, but in the end:

1) i installed Lion clean from the DVD, setting up with 2 partitions. The first formatted as OSEJ which i installed Lion on, and the second i formatted as FAT then deleted once Lion was installed

2) I then installed windows on the free space and it worked!

Last edited:

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
is there any sort of toggle I could setup so I can swap from natural scrolling to classic scrolling with one or two clicks? I like to have classic when using my mouse and natural when on my touchpad!

Soldato
Finding out more and more nice little touches - nothing mind-blowing to be honest but little changes which are useful. Preview natively playing GIFs was a welcome discovery.

Soldato
is there any sort of toggle I could setup so I can swap from natural scrolling to classic scrolling with one or two clicks? I like to have classic when using my mouse and natural when on my touchpad!

Download better touch tool. You can set up any gestures you want and define them by mouse, trackpad, keyboard and even specific applications.

Associate
Anybody else having kernel panics? I did a clean install yesterday and so far have had 4 KPs. 2 while using Carbon Copy Cloner, 1 while watching a youtube vid in Chrome and another moving files from an external drive to the internal in Finder. This is on a 27" iMac 2010 model. Bit fed up and unimpressed at the moment :(

Soldato
Take a look at console logs for any telling messages:

Applications > utilities > console

Run Disk Utility - repair permissions and verify disk.

Boot into safe mode then reboot normally and see if it persists.

Associate
I'm going back to snow leopard. 6 kernel panics now. All using different software, some just the the finder. Console logs didn't give any clue as to why. Seriously unimpressed.

I'm going back to snow leopard. 6 kernel panics now. All using different software, some just the the finder. Console logs didn't give any clue as to why. Seriously unimpressed.

I have been using the beta 4 and the final fine. I have also used carbon copy cloner and youtube many of times fine. With large amounts of data carried over different drives. Also I have used photoshop extensively to max the machine out so it crawls and no KP.. This seems strange. I wonder if your memory is ok...

Caporegime
I'm running OS X Snow Leopard, and I have an existing bootcamp XP partition which I boot using Parallels within OS X.

If I upgrade to OS X Lion will my XP thing still work, either through bootcamp or through Parallels? There will be untold fury from the wife if it doesn't...

Soldato
After doing an upgrade on my quite recent snow leopard installation I found the animations quite laggy, googling suggested this was a common issue for a lot of people (including 15" 2011 MBP users on the descreet cards).

I really didn't have much, if any, data to lose so decided to go for a full format and start fresh. Maybe a placebo effect but to me it definitely seems to run smoother compared to before, mostly noticable when switching the full screen apps which would always seem to lag before. I still get it sometimes but 80% of the time its smooth now. I certainly feel better knowing its a fresh install on there :D

Regarding the OS, I was still getting used to SL, I do prefer Lion now after having a sit down and play with it whilst installing all my stuff again. I never got used to spaces, expose etc before hand so learning something new won't be a challenge to me - overall i'm quite impressed with it, even more so given the price :)

Really like the full screen switching, versions and auto saving will be very handy once more applications support it and the new gestures are good, finding it quite fluid switching between a desktop, safari and mail and you can also quick peek into mail to check for new messages too by doing half a swipe

Caporegime
I'm not sure. However the bigger issue is your wife going mad if she can't use XP! I feel dirty even typing it... :D

She uses MS Office a lot, but that's about it. XP is good enough for that, and I'm not in a hurry to give MS any more money just for a few shinier bits and pieces! It's bad enough that I'm about to give Apple £21 for some shiny new toys ;)

Back
Top Bottom