Leave uni for full-time job?

Associate
I've just finished my first year of university, got a 1st in computer science + creative computing. (I take CS as a primary with an additional part time in CC).

I've just been offered a job for £30,000.00 PA about 10 miles away from where I currently live. I'm currently 21 and although have had no "real" job, i've been self employed while at university and been fortunate enough to get a few "Good looking" contracts out of the way.

My question to you would be; is it worth it, you think - to say, leave university and then take this job (providing I get it at the interview) in comparison to staying at university for the next 3 years.

The reason I'm 21 and so late in university by 2 years is because I chose to take some extra qualifications so I could honestly decide which course would have been right for me, all the while learning more about the things I had a passion for (Programming).

The company seem pretty impressed by my portfolio / cv and are inviting me for a drink with the 5 developers/designers on their team. I know they are a company that is branched off from a relatively large medium scale organization so as far as monetary aspects go, I'm sure they are well in the green.

Would, leaving university be advantageous for this kind of job position, as ultimately web systems is something I wish to specialize in when I get out of university anyway if not eventually run my own business...

Associate
Just think, the job could go down the tube and you would be left with nothing, regretting that you didnt finish.

30k a year is good, but youve done so well in your first year, why not continue?

Soldato
Finish your degree its always good to have as a back, what happens if you get sacked 4 months down the line? Try and negation with them ask for part time or could you not do one years placement with them?
For me student years were some of best enjoy your life still young!

Soldato
Most degrees are part time these days really IMO. I just finished my second year at Hallam, could have easily worked 2 days a week at the same time.

Soldato
I left Uni for a full time job on less money than your being offered, I don't regret it one bit. My CV looks quite nice as ive completed various IT certification and have lots of experience with enterprise hardware/software which I would have struggled to get otherwise.

Soldato
Most degrees are part time these days really IMO. I just finished my second year at Hallam, could have easily worked 2 days a week at the same time.

Depends on the degree though. I'm doing Engineering at Hallam and you've got no way of a chance of working during the week.

Soldato
Depends on the degree though. I'm doing Engineering at Hallam and you've got no way of a chance of working during the week.

Because of workload or timetabling?

The timetabling at Hallam is pitiful. I could only fit an evening/weekend job in, despite only having 13 hours a week of uni session to go to. On 3 days I had a 5+ hour gap in the middle of the day.

Mind you, I just stopped turning up most of the time after Christmas, still got a 2:1.

Soldato
I agree,If you have already spent a Year at uni then you might aswell carry on or you will just be stuck in a dead end job and wishing you had carried on with uni. :)

Izi

Izi

Soldato
Two ways to look at this:

Pro:
1) £30k for a 21 year old is a good wage
2) Work experience counts a million times more than a degree in the field of programming (in my experience)
3) You can always go back to uni

Against:
1) You are young, live your uni years
2) Having a degree is a good thing to have
3) You will get other job offers when you leave uni, don't think this a completely rare occurrence.

Soldato
Life is about more than money and careers.

I'd go and talk to them about the job and see if they will allow you to study part time extending your degree for a few years allowing you to earn money and gain experience.

Soldato
Do not drop out, see if you can work there part time along side it or do a 3 month stint every year during the summer.

Get that silly piece of paper though.

Associate
You're young. I'd suspend your studies for a couple of years if the job proves to all you hope it to be. Having actual job experience on your cv will be very valuable particularly at such a young age. Just make sure you do go back to uni.

Associate
Stick with Uni, like some others have said, you spend the rest of your life working and if the job falls through you will be lift with nothing.

Back
Top Bottom