American Coca-Cola

Soldato
Bah, none of those online shops sell Mr Pibb :(

Much nicer than Dr Pepper and I love Dr Pepper. Shame you can only buy it in the Southern American states.

Soldato
I can't tell the difference.

Your taste buds are broken!

I can't stand the taste/aftertaste of artificial sweetners. What really bugs me, in fact, is Lilt - despite the continuing (i think) existance of Lilt Zero, normal Lilt has inexpliccably become some sort of half sugar and half artificial sweetener cocktail. This tastes absolutely foul to me so I can no longer drink Lilt which I used to really enjoy. Why have only a diet version full of chemical crap and a half diet version also full of chemical crap? :(:(

As for Coke, I find the container makes the most difference. Cans taste slightly more acidic (which sometimes I like) and plastic bottles taste slightly more chemical. Glass bottles taste much much better. Best of all are glass bottles from the US which are (or at least are partly, or were) made in Mexico using real cane sugar. I dont really like corn syrup as to me it has a strange taste that pervades almost everything American (even stuff that's supposed to be savoury, like pies, have the stuff in it!) - Hersheys chocolate particularly. So I much prefer European glass bottled coke to US cans.

Man of Honour
isnt everything (nearly) cheaper in the US?

It may depend on where in the States you are and what you're buying but on a recent holiday I can't say I noticed it being much cheaper for anything other than petrol which was stupidly cheap yet for them it was about as expensive as it has ever been. A few things were marginally cheaper but by the time you'd added on sales tax it didn't work out that much better.

I can't remember if I had any Coke while I was over there, if I did then I didn't notice the difference compared to Coke here.

Caporegime
Mostly because I don't want to waste 140 calories on... a drink.

I bet you'll find a higher correlation between diabetes and people who drink sugary drinks than those who just eat badly once every 3-4 hours.

Full sugar drinks are shockingly bad for you in every way, pure sugar rush but importantly, with no nutritional content at all, fat slows down food absorbtion, protein tells your body to use the energy to build/repair cells which uses up energy. Sugar with NOTHING else at all is the single worst thing in terms of insulin over production.

Thats ignoring the fact that I can drink diet coke and feel refreshed, I drink normal coke and it feels like my teeth are melting, I don't feel refreshed, and then the lovely feeling of a sugar rush followed by the crash afterwards.

High fructose corn syrup is massively worse than bog standard sugar, tastes, chemically for want of a better word, and, well, look at fat american's then see how much they drink, and work out how many calories a day are just from coke and how many of them have health problems.

One can won't hurt you, 6 cans won't, several 2l bottles, who cares, but drinking it every day for months is bad for your health, doing it for years is going to cause all sorts of problems.

Permabanned
Diet Coke outsells regular Coke. I've heard it said that this can be attributed to Diet Coke tasting miles better than regular Coke in America, because the artificial sweeteners taste better than the HFCS that they use over there.

However, I don't understand why people would drink Diet Coke here unless they were actually dieting, as sugar tastes better than artificial sweeteners.

In your opinion. I hate the 'furry teeth' feeling that I get from a normal Coke, and I actually prefer the taste Diet Coke and Coke Zero.

Soldato
While on the subject of imported drinks, has anyone ever found anywhere you can get imported Monster from as I love the 'assault' cola flavour and the 'mixed' fruit one :)

Permabanned
Your taste buds are broken!

I can't stand the taste/aftertaste of artificial sweetners. What really bugs me, in fact, is Lilt - despite the continuing (i think) existance of Lilt Zero, normal Lilt has inexpliccably become some sort of half sugar and half artificial sweetener cocktail. This tastes absolutely foul to me so I can no longer drink Lilt which I used to really enjoy. Why have only a diet version full of chemical crap and a half diet version also full of chemical crap? :(:(

As for Coke, I find the container makes the most difference. Cans taste slightly more acidic (which sometimes I like) and plastic bottles taste slightly more chemical. Glass bottles taste much much better. Best of all are glass bottles from the US which are (or at least are partly, or were) made in Mexico using real cane sugar. I dont really like corn syrup as to me it has a strange taste that pervades almost everything American (even stuff that's supposed to be savoury, like pies, have the stuff in it!) - Hersheys chocolate particularly. So I much prefer European glass bottled coke to US cans.

Hold on, one minute you say you prefer bottle US glass bottled Coke, then you say you prefer European Glass Bottled Coke?

Permabanned
I bet you'll find a higher correlation between diabetes and people who drink sugary drinks than those who just eat badly once every 3-4 hours.

Full sugar drinks are shockingly bad for you in every way, pure sugar rush but importantly, with no nutritional content at all, fat slows down food absorbtion, protein tells your body to use the energy to build/repair cells which uses up energy. Sugar with NOTHING else at all is the single worst thing in terms of insulin over production.

Thats ignoring the fact that I can drink diet coke and feel refreshed, I drink normal coke and it feels like my teeth are melting, I don't feel refreshed, and then the lovely feeling of a sugar rush followed by the crash afterwards.

High fructose corn syrup is massively worse than bog standard sugar, tastes, chemically for want of a better word, and, well, look at fat american's then see how much they drink, and work out how many calories a day are just from coke and how many of them have health problems.

One can won't hurt you, 6 cans won't, several 2l bottles, who cares, but drinking it every day for months is bad for your health, doing it for years is going to cause all sorts of problems.

Everything in moderation, studies have shown type 2 diabetes does not come from just having sugary drinks/sweets, people that get it the type 2 diabetes is from being overweight, having a poor diet and not exercising.

I cant see how having a couple of cans a week for most of your life is that detrimental to your health, christ its been on sale for about 150 years.

Caporegime
Lol, I used to drink tonnes of that stuff when I was a kid and fizzy drinks were called POP.....:cool: (You used to get 10p for the empty bottles as well)

You still get money back on cans and bottles in Finland. You take your empties to the supermarket, feed them into a machine, and it gives you a voucher to go against your shopping. So there's much less litter, and what litter there is gets picked up by scroungers and taken back to the supermarket. Win win.

Permabanned
Everything in moderation, studies have shown type 2 diabetes does not come from just having sugary drinks/sweets, people that get it the type 2 diabetes is from being overweight, having a poor diet and not exercising.

I cant see how having a couple of cans a week for most of your life is that detrimental to your health, christ its been on sale for about 150 years.

It is the increased availability and relative cheapness that has increased consumption, along with brand identity and aggressive targeted advertising.

Added to this is the change from Cane Sugar to High-Fructose-Corn-Syrup in 1984 which has been shown to increase Obesity and aggravate Type 2 Diabetes significantly more than Cane Sugar.

So in reality it has not been around in it's present form for 150 years, in the United States at least the change in sugar source coincides with the growth of obesity in the United States.

Of course, one can a week is not going to have any real adverse effects (in most people) but unfortunately a significant proportion of the Country drink at least one can every day on average.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hold on, one minute you say you prefer bottle US glass bottled Coke, then you say you prefer European Glass Bottled Coke?

I said I prefer Euro glass bottles to US cans (more in response to the OP's and others' opinions that anything US is better than anything euro, wheras I think the container makes most difference). So...

US (mexico) glass bottles > Euro glass bottles > cans > plastic bottles

...imho

Associate
Refined sugar > High fructose corn syrup

Fructose is sweeter but you basically digest a high proportion of it in your liver, it's bad for you and will make you fat (look at Americans?).

Usda_sweeteners.svg

And when did Americans start getting really fat?

healthriskfactorsf2.jpg

It's not completely dissimilar to the way the body digests alcohol, the natural sugar you get in something like an apple does not touch the liver at all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom