Registering a new (2nd hand car)

Soldato
Hey guys,

Just a quick question. I bought the wife-to-be a nearly new car for her wedding present but as the wedding isn't until next month and she knows nothing about it I just want to know if it would be ok to wait until September before filling in the registration form and sending it off to the DVLA? The car is hidden in a relatives garage and will not be on the road until our wedding day. Or is this something I should really fill in straight away?

Thanks

Matt

Caporegime
He says the car is 2nd hand so its not new

and if its 2nd hand it already has a number plate and is registered

I assume he's talking about changing the keeper of the vehicle over with the DVLA.

Technically they shouldn't really notice if its sat in a garage somewhere. So yes it should be fine.

Soldato
OP
Sorry yes I mean the V5. I don't drive myself so don't know a lot about these things which is why I would rather it be registered to her and not me as she will be driving it. I can't do this however until the wedding when she will know about the car otherwise it will ruin the surprise

Caporegime
The car will technically have no keeper with the DVLA, which would be a problem if you were going to drive it.

But since its going to stay tucked in a garage as a surprise its fine. As long as its taxed and insured ?

Caporegime
They changed the law recently to say that if it is Tax'd then it must be Insured or taken off the road or SORN.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Motorinsurance/DG_186696

Its possible they may land you with a charge for not having insurance on it whilst it was taxed. I'd speak to the DVLA first before leaving it. They could see you not declaring the registered keeper as a way of trying to avoid the fine whilst driving without insurance ......

As i read the law, the car must be SORN if you aren't going to insure it.

Soldato
OP
Guess the best thing to do then is call the DVLA. As it stands the vehicle is not tax'd or insured (only insured it to get it home from the dealer) as I believe to tax it you need insurance and as the missus is still driving her other car it won't be insured until she switches over after the wedding then it will be tax'd.

Back
Top Bottom