Homeplugs for 50gb file transfer.

Associate
As the title, parents have decided they don't want any cables on show so looking for a set of homeplugs which will be able to transfer blu ray image files from my PC to server at decent enough speed... obviously wireless is no good so anyone got any recommendations?

At the minute i have it set up as following, which transfers between 80-90MB/s.

VM50mb -- d-link655 -- Main PC -- cat5e cable upstairs -- d-link switch -- server.

Associate
I've just picked up a pair of Belkin Play Gigabit Powerline HD adaptors to connect my VDSL modem to my Home Hub.

Had them running for a day and have experienced no less than 110MB/s. Cost me less than £60 too ;)

Soldato
Rensin, to get a idea of the network speed you're trying replace are you talking bits/sec or bytes/sec?

Dynabol, presumably you must be talking bits/sec?

Associate
Nope, bytes. The adaptors are only 5 metres from each other so I suppose that plays a part, and it's new wiring in a new house.

I wasn't that optimistic when I bought them after reading various reviews on PoE stuff, but they are performing very well for me and my PS3 :)

Associate
I know they're rated for 1000Mbit/sec, but I was a bit dubious after reading what I read. Saying that, it's probably due to the proximity of the adaptors, new wiring etc.

If I were to move one upstairs for example, I suspect that transfer rate would drop off a cliff!

Associate
I'd be very suprised at getting over 15-20MB second if going between floors but could be proven wrong. You're best off reading reviews and seeing what they say. 50GB+ will be painful over powerline though. If you're in no rush it'll be functional though

Associate
Nope, bytes. The adaptors are only 5 metres from each other so I suppose that plays a part, and it's new wiring in a new house.

I wasn't that optimistic when I bought them after reading various reviews on PoE stuff, but they are performing very well for me and my PS3 :)

Is that transferring data to the PS3 ?

Im sceptical of that transfer rate on gigabit powerline tbh.

Associate

Power over Ethernet? Crossed wires? *pun on*

Back
Top Bottom