Really want a macbook

Associate
Hi guys,

Ive wanted a mac for a while now and im so close to pressing buy on the macbook air 13"!

silly question i know but do you get what you pay for with macs? I know they hold their value very well so Im assuming they do the job. Ive got my desktop for most things mainly gaming but is the bootcamp thing easy to use? I wouldnt mind having Windows on to play the occasional game.

Does anyone with an air play games on their's? how do they handle im guesing the majority would play simple RTS's?

Im scared that I wouldnt use the mac to its full potential and warrant the price :(

And is it worth waiting for the new Macbook Pro MacRumours says a refresh is due on them... I assume the Pro's are 'the mac laptops to have' but the air looks so nice!

thanks

Soldato
If you are hoping to do any type of gaming I would choose a Mac which has a individual GPU such as the MacBook Pro range 15" & 17" I currently own a 13" and it is awful for 3d Applications and Games it runs them great just the temperature are scary as is the fan noise when running them as they use onboard graphics.

1. Great OS
2. Quality Product
3. Reliability
4. Great Warranty
5. Powerful Machines
6. Everything works with each other
7. Bling

And if your set on buying a new Air. I would go for the 13" Model extremely portable nice size screen the SSD hard disk is a must. The speed and performance will be unspeakable compared to other laptops!
Mac Pro's should be good until the release a early Feb model I presume, I've heard no Rumours I wouldn't hold me to that one.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I wouldnt do full on FPS Battlefield 2 gaming etc but perhaps Civ 4 etc just time passers.

and I havent really had a decent laptop before apart from an Acer Ferrari 4000 ive inherited but that reaches boiling point from the word go.

and I just wouldnt mind having something else to learn about I use widows 7 everyday so the thought of having a laptop with windows on just doesnt appeal.

also, is it stupid to buy a mac without applecare? do they cover for everything.. I dont want to buy that extra and then be told later on down the line when something happens that im not covered for this or that.

Associate
Macbook Pro's aren't great for gaming, especially the 13" MBP and MBA as they use intel HD3000 graphics which are integrated. I'm using my 13" MBP for photoshop, aperture, microsoft office, iTunes and watching HD movies.

I have steam and play plants vs zombies which runs great...but its not like its a graphically taxing game.

They are great machines and the OS is fantastic, but it really depends on why you want one.

EDIT: Applecare covers everything except accidental damage. The service has been fantastic for me so far and is well worth the money.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think Apple Care covers all hardware failure such as Screens, Keyboards, HDD, etc which in a Mac I can't imagine the Screens will be cheap I remember an Apple Adviser quoting around 700-800 for a 27" Screen on an iMac. For the Extra two years warranty when buying the Mac from them you'll get a discounted price if you ask. Think on my Pro I got it for £30

Soldato
To be honest, unless you either want to switch to a Mac as your main system, or you have a need to go with a Mac, I wouldn't waste your money.

Not saying that they're bad systems, as they really aren't, they're without a doubt one of, if not the best laptops out there (I personally agree with the latter of those statements). But you do pay a very high premium (and I also believe they cost way too much).

Ignore the whole "great OS, full package, great user experience" stuff, as this could be said about any Windows-based laptop if you prefer Windows. Only you can justify whether or not it is worth it for you.

What I'm basically saying is that, it's a lot of money, be careful with it :p

Soldato
One thing to think about is the small disk capacity of the Airs. If you go with the base model you'll have around 60GB to play with which is not a lot if you're going to bootcamp and install a couple of games. I would have a look at some of the games available on the Mac platform (I'm pretty sure you'll be able to pick up civ 4 quite cheaply) and not bother installing Windows. That way you'll spend more time in OSX (the whole point of a Mac), won't have to buy a windows license and save precious disk space.

Associate
OP
The "Pro" bit is there for a reason, are you working in a media based environment?

Not really im in engineering but our company is based in Germany and ive been over to the HQ and I went with only my iphone as i didnt have a laptop and what a mistake that was.. ran up my bill (which I new when i was using it, it would happen) but I had sweet fanny anne to do. And Im meant to be going back this year so it would be great for that.

I know I could just get a cheap windows laptop but like i said I look at windows everyday so would be a nice change.

I also get ridiculously good loans through my company which I could use to get whichever i choose but the 17" Pro at 2k+ does seem OTT, when its probibly worth over double what my cars worth :p

Associate
If you want something portable, don't bother with the 17" Pro. You're better off opting for the 13" and hooking it up to a monitor when you're home - plus saving a stack of cash.

There's no shame in wanting to try something new. I did just that 18 months or so ago and don't think I'll ever go back to Windows tbh. Whether you're lured by the marketing or just want to extend your knowledge or try something new, they're all legitimate reasons to make the switch.

They're a desirable product for a reason....

Soldato
just go for it.

i got the new mac airs. and they really are powerful.

everything is more instant, opening closing apps. booting takes 10 seconds and surf the net and edit videos, play games, run virtual machines or remote desktop your old windows7

it just blows away my windows7 corei7 quad core laptop.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom