For all the SSD haters

Associate
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-upgrade-hard-drive,2956.html

Tough to argue that an SSD doesn't make any difference when you look at those graphs. Interesting viewing the application loading times as well, this should in turn make game loads much faster which is a frequent query.

Whilst I can agree they aren't cheap per GB, they do make a huge difference for responsiveness and cost will come down over time. For a boot drive they are still an awesome investment.

Caporegime
They're good if you really need the speeds, but i'm happy with my two drives RAID 0

My two Vertex 3's in RAID0 aren't anywhere near as fast as my 6 320GB HDDs in RAID5, in everything except boot times that is.

Most of the performance can certainly be matched with platter based storage, and cheaper too I might add, but nothing will come close to an SSD for random access times.

Soldato
There are those who doubt that SSDs are worth the price premium over mechanical drives, though I don't see how you could brand them SSD haters. As N19h7m4r3 and Surveyor pointed out, it's all about the £/GB.

Soldato
Im starting to hate my Corsair Reactor 120Gb. Its been RMA'd once, and its died again. Still kind of works, but constantly corrupts the windows install. Now it just casues a BSOD when loading windows. Cba with it anymore.

Associate
Most of the performance can certainly be matched with platter based storage, and cheaper too I might add

This ^

I bought an SSD after all the hype that was going around and have thought it was a waste of money ever since. Yes its an improvement, but worth the cost? Not really. And barely noticeable in real use.

Associate
i'm more than happy with the performance of my sata3 wd black although it takes nearly 2 min for win7 to boot up (loading fraps,trixx,ccc,kis,motionjoy,logitech,steam,ad64,xonar & few others) but once windows is up & running it usually boots my games & apps almost instantly so i see no real need at all for a small & expensive ssd drive.

Soldato
Guess I must be an ssd hater then according to OP. I think ssds (for general use) are only worth considering once you've improved everything else in your rig and if a gamer have sli/cf. Then consider an ssd. That's what I did, I'll probably get an ssd around Christmas time as nothing else I can upgrade now really. Probably will end up putting the money into something else though non pc related.

Soldato
I'm only using SSD because I got some silly deal offers from Crucial (we spend loads with them and the offer at the time was too good to refuse).

So I have a 128GB C300 for Windows and Apps.
Another 128GB C300 for games.
Finally a 2TB WD Black for storage etc.

Don't know if I would have paid full price for the SSD's - maybe once we get more GB/£.

Soldato
Good example why i'm waiting for prices to crash on these devices..

Seriously... I can fill this in a blink of an eye (OCZ RevoDrive3 X2 960GB PCI-E SSD, check link below for price, get ready for a heart attack). I have currently 4 x 2TB internal drives full and 2 external 2TB full.. Looking at sticking 6 more 2TB drives in my system by end of this year.. Avoiding the 3TB with their funky new format (4k) they use.. Just not confident enough in having the new format drives to hold my data yet.. I loose any data I start to mourn over it, the data to me is the computer, everything else is replaceable plastic and metal parts to me.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-083-OC&groupid=1657&catid=1660&subcat=1669

Reality is we will all go SSD at some point but they need to get a lot larger and a lot cheaper, they need to be on the same price as mechanical drives or no more then 25% more in cost before they will become a realistic option for many.

The memory chip makers need to get off their rears and make more chips available and bring the prices down.. They are doing the classic make few chips and price them high for reasons to me are unreal.. Yes I understand Reasearch and Dev costs but seriously they will get the costs back quicker if they make them a mainstream device and not a device that is way over priced for the average consumer.

I don't hate SSD I love the technology, but hate the greed of the chip makers..

Last edited:
Associate
OP
My two Vertex 3's in RAID0 aren't anywhere near as fast as my 6 320GB HDDs in RAID5, in everything except boot times that is.

Most of the performance can certainly be matched with platter based storage, and cheaper too I might add, but nothing will come close to an SSD for random access times.

What performance do you get out of both configs and what RAID card did you have to buy to support 6 HDD? TCO wise I'd be suprised if over a year the electricity savings would also add up?

Are the HDD short stroked or running at full capacity?

Soldato
Already available with the Kingston 96GB drive....

But then comes £/GB/Performance, I looked at some depth reviews of the SSD in question (V+100 I think?) and it was, in most tests, barely better than a decent mechanical drive. I'm not saying its a bad drive or don't buy, but there are far better performing SSD's out there in that price range and size.

Back
Top Bottom