Car Insurance... joke!

Associate
I pay £1400 FC on a Fiesta ST. I have 4 yrs NCB and I was 23 at the time. So £1000 on a Scooby would be great for me. I did a quote for an ep3 Type R it was £2000.

I dont feel to bad now, im 22 with 4NCB. Thought i was the only one paying this much when i was asking on STOC lol :p

Greenlight are very ST friendly, highly recommended on STOC anyway.

As for the Scooby, the cheapest my mate had ive just checked was Admiral, worth a post on Scoobynet to see who is insured with who though?

Soldato
You must have a not-so-great postcode as thats the only thing I can think of if you have already shopped around.

The whole "postcode" thing is a joke, the whole of London is called as "a not so great postcode", despite parts being posh and good.

Insurance companies are just profiteering cnuts.

Caporegime
I dont feel to bad now, im 22 with 4NCB. Thought i was the only one paying this much when i was asking on STOC lol :p

Greenlight are very ST friendly, highly recommended on STOC anyway.

As for the Scooby, the cheapest my mate had ive just checked was Admiral, worth a post on Scoobynet to see who is insured with who though?

Can 2nd Greenlight as they came in the cheapest for me with my ST, albeit a few quid cheaper. Oh and same name on STOC matey :D

Soldato
[TW]Fox;19825317 said:
Because it carries similar risk by virtue of its proximity to the bad area?

It carries no higher risk than say having an E rated area next door to a B rated area, especially when many of the good parts are gated communities or similar.

I'm about to move from Oxford to London, moving from an area that has lower-middle class/upper-working class to an area in London that is middle class and up.

Yet, because it is "SE" postcode it is deemed higher risk than where I am currently in Oxford, despite it being a better area if you look at the area around the house and in fact a safer area.

Simply going by the first part of the postcode is not sufficient now, as you have huge variation in some areas and sometimes you will have a bad postcode right next to a good one and it is purely luck that the postcode setup is done in a particular way.

Can't type for toffee
Don
0NCB
Driving for a year
No points
Car was a 1.8TDCI Focus
Been using 10 month accelerator premiums

1st was £1440 (NE6)
2nd was £620 (NE16)

Was well happy with the drop then I wrote the car off :(
I phone d admiral up as a new customer declared my accident and stuff and got a quote on the same type of car, came back at £740 or so, thought it would have had a far larger increase.

Soldato
It carries no higher risk than say having an E rated area next door to a B rated area, especially when many of the good parts are gated communities or similar.

I'm about to move from Oxford to London, moving from an area that has lower-middle class/upper-working class to an area in London that is middle class and up.

Yet, because it is "SE" postcode it is deemed higher risk than where I am currently in Oxford, despite it being a better area if you look at the area around the house and in fact a safer area.

Simply going by the first part of the postcode is not sufficient now, as you have huge variation in some areas and sometimes you will have a bad postcode right next to a good one and it is purely luck that the postcode setup is done in a particular way.

Postcode rating is weighted towards the risk of theft more than anything else. Thus your proximity to a higher risk area is very relevant. Incredibly, the nasty people living in the crappy estate a couple of miles away have the cheek to wader over and try to steal / vandalise the nice cars rather than the sheds outside their own front door. In London they even provide lots of public transport so they can get there easier.

Just because things aren't working out for you the way you want them to doesn't make them 'wrong'.

Soldato
Postcode rating is weighted towards the risk of theft more than anything else. Thus your proximity to a higher risk area is very relevant. Incredibly, the nasty people living in the crappy estate a couple of miles away have the cheek to wader over and try to steal / vandalise the nice cars rather than the sheds outside their own front door. In London they even provide lots of public transport so they can get there easier.

Just because things aren't working out for you the way you want them to doesn't make them 'wrong'.

Explain to me why the postcode affects "TP" only prices also then?

Soldato
Because sometimes those nasty people living nearby slam the brakes on in front of you and claim whiplash, and all sorts of other reasons. Because also, shock horror, living in an affluent area doesn't make you a better driver. Affluent areas have high peak traffic levels, notably when all the Mum's get out and deliver children to school.

Whilst it is far from perfect some people seriously believe that car insurance is the next big global conspiracy story waiting to happen.

Man of Honour
I don't get this postcode lark, my parents post code is A rated and my postcode is B rated, yet - when I run quotes my house is ALWAYS cheaper than my parents.

I'm not sure which site people go by, but according to this site, where I live in Watford is the same rating as Rickmansworth, but there is a huge difference in prices.

Man of Honour
It's the same site I looked at.

My post code is terrible, when my GF enquired why her quote went from £400 to the wrong side of a grand she was told that it's because there's 3 accident blackspot areas within a mile of where we live (nigh on central Watford).

It makes sense, as insurance is based on statistics, so I guess you'd be more likely to have an accident in a blackspot than anywhere else.

I personally think that post code site is outdated and thus currently wrong.

Permabanned
Given that most of the times I've tried TPO it's only been a couple of quid cheaper than TPFT, I'm guessing that they use the same means to determine risk and simply knock a figure off based on the amount of fire/thefts they pay out on rather than work it out against your risk area.

Back
Top Bottom