Making a new partition in lion

Associate
hi guys

i could do you your help, since running lion photoshop CS5 has been a nightmare for me, the pen keeps freezing and CS5 keeps crashing when i goto save.

now what i want to do is make a new partition and put snow leopard on it but when i make one i can't see it in the boot up options for for to install SN to it, any ideas as to what i'm doing wrong ?

all i see is my current mac HD, backup HD and SN DVD ?

here are some screen shots

partition made
6041132830_5e0d46be56_z.jpg

Start options
6041132408_79c163facc_z.jpg

choose Start up disk
6041132590_1b27ba22d7_z.jpg

as you can see no SN hard drive

Tony

Last edited:
Associate
Boot from the SL DVD, when in there you can choose Disk Utility from the menu at the top, run that and ensure that the SL Partition appears there. You need to format the partition as Mac OS Extended (Journalled) first, then I'm sure there was another option to do with the partition type (Maybe GUID?) but I don't have my Macbook in front of me to check.

Edit - Pretty sure you need to set the partition to a GUID type (or something!), it can be changed from one of the menus when running disk utility. Somebody on here should be able to confirm!?

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry, looking at the images again I didn't notice the GUID bit at the bottom! (I blame a late night full of alcohol and having to get up early! :( ). I havn't got my mac with me unfortunately so can't offer any extra help from memory!

Associate
Did you format the disk under Lion or Snow? Perhaps you need to do it with Snow first?

SL installer should see the disks, how much space did you allocate to the SL partition?

Associate
It looks like OSX isn't picking up your SL partition as it doesn't have appropriate files or partition information.

This may sound silly but try Disk Utility and restore some bootable image into the newly created partition - even the SL installation image will do, then see if SL or Startup Disk picks up the new partition. (You can always erase b4 installating)

Associate
OP
It looks like OSX isn't picking up your SL partition as it doesn't have appropriate files or partition information.

This may sound silly but try Disk Utility and restore some bootable image into the newly created partition - even the SL installation image will do, then see if SL or Startup Disk picks up the new partition. (You can always erase b4 installating)

ok so your saying restore an image using the snow dvd and try it again, thanks ill give it a go, i'll get back to you but it might not be until tomorrow.

Associate
OP
Ok guys, got it sorted now, I used supaduper to backup my OSX DVD to the new partition which made it bootable and show up in the start option, once I got the OSX DVD running I then formatted the new partition and installed OSX, now doing a gig update lol

Thanks for ALL your help.

Tony

Associate
Ok guys, got it sorted now, I used supaduper to backup my OSX DVD to the new partition which made it bootable and show up in the start option, once I got the OSX DVD running I then formatted the new partition and installed OSX, now doing a gig update lol

Thanks for ALL your help.

Tony

Cool. Those combo updates are getting bigger by the day!

Back
Top Bottom