Everyone’s move to Australia

Associate
How did people that have emigrated find the visa situation? I've looked into various visas but from what I've read they take a long time to be approved. Working holiday visa is an option but you can only work 6 months per employer :(

Soldato
It really depends on the Visa, your position / skills and whether you have relations or an employer willing to sponsor.

For permanant moves - If you are after a skilled Independant (175) or Skilled Sponsored (176) and you easily meet the points pass mark - it's usually less than a year.

If you don't - you go into a pool of applicants. I think there a 4 catagories - with Cat 1 given the first chance of getting a Visa. If you are pooled - I think it can take up to 2 years to get.

Aslso from what I remember - once you get it - you have to actually land in Aus (and get your passport stamped) within 5 years of you getting the Visa - or else it runs out. You also have to stay in Aus for a total of 2 years within that 5 years to actually be a resident (something along those lines anyway)

Just bear in mind the Jobs skills list changes regularly (usually every 6 months) - as do the points for each Skill and the number of Immigrants allowed in via the points system. They frequently change the rules for entry too so always keep up to date on the requirements.

Last edited:
Soldato
2 of my close friends and 2 other people i know have decided they are going to australia next year, temporary at first but depending on how they get on out there with work etc maybe permanent

Associate
My mate in my office is moving to OZ end of this year with his missus and new baby. He has scored an IT job exactly the same as the one he has now and he is on 3 times the amount he is getting now.
For the people who say that it's too far from anything else/family: The glorious words that my dad told me when I was worried about my family in UK as I'm moving to NZ this year... "You can get to any place in the world in two day's. One day if you want to push it." You are never far from anything.

Soldato
We moved to NZ just over 2 years ago and don't regret it for a second but it's not for everyone, we've met more than our fair share of Brits over here who expected to have all of the pro's of the UK (comparatively high disposable income, cheap goods, choice when shopping, etc) with no drawbacks. As I said to them, if NZ (or Oz) was perfect then you'd never meet a kiwi or aussie working in the UK so it's worth doing plenty of research in advance. Also check out the areas you might want to live/work, in NZ there is a different "feel" in the main cities of Auckland/Wellington/Christchurch (and elsewhere).

Personally, we love it, hard to remember what our lives were like before, friends and family in the UK have all commented that we've gone from being content to loving life and that sums it up pretty well.

All of this is despite us currently living in someone's granny flat with our 8-month old daughter because our house is being rebuilt after the 7.1 earthquake in Sept that hit about 5km from our house. All part of the adventure!

Associate
Well we (the missus and I) emigrated on Wednesday at 10pm, and arrived in Perth at 6.30am Friday morning. Life is a bit of a blur between looking around, eating, and (lots of) sleeping at the mo.

Soldato
Currently travelling in Australia and it's so awesome. I'm working at the moment and will definitely try and get sponsored and stay here a while.

It's so much more laid back, this can be good or bad. The pay increase is realative to the cost but not proportionate imo as you can still live fairly cheaply but the pay is way better.

The people are nuts! The women are awesome :p The beaches are spectacular. So many things to see and do. The only think I miss about the UK is my car (and family/friends obviously)!

Associate
Been here for 3.5 years now, never seen one scary spider or snake. The cost of living here though is just stupidly high. Supermarket shopping in particular.

Its all very warped though when comparing the finance side to the UK due to the current exchange rate. I earn around $100k p.a which isn't a great wage here but currently gbp 65k. My job in London would pay around 40k.

Caporegime
Is it me or are a lot of semi professional / professional people moving to Australia form the UK?

I just found out another one of my close friends is moving out there and I have met quite a few other people over the last couple of years who where in the process or thinking about moving.

So its it really that nice out there? Or are people just attracted by what looks like a better pay package only to find that the cost of living is much higher.

I always thought cost of living was cheaper. My Brother always complained about the cost of everything in the UK when he came over and I never seem to have that much of a problem when i am over ther. Although the last time he came over here was 2005. He has lived there since 1993 but I could never live there myself. You do get a lot more house for your money but I prefer the compact nature of our country and the culture we have. Everything over there seemed so empty (which is obviously not suprising). Weather and the fact everyone speaks our language is the only thing I can give as plus points. I am always happy to be there for the reason of seeing my brother and the weather only. 3 weeks is enough for me as I just miss our culture too much. I go pretty much once every two years.

Caporegime
I always thought cost of living was cheaper. My Brother always complained about the cost of everything in the UK when he came over and I never seem to have that much of a problem when i am over ther.

The difference in currency value accounts for this. A stronger £ means you pay less when spending £ in Australia, but more when spending $ in the UK.

If you were living in Australia on an Australian wage, you'd find the cost of living quite high. Similarly, if he was living in the UK on a British wage, he'd find it very affordable.

Caporegime
I don't think I could stand the weather. Having born and lived in Hong Kong for a decade, I am sick of the heat and the sun. I simply do not get the English fascination of the love of 30c+ temperature. It is not comfortable, it makes you sweaty, it gives you heat strokes and you end up spending a fortune in electricity on air con. The only (biggest) up side is all the pretty girls not wearing much as a result.

So I certainly woukdn't go there for the weather, I like the seasons in England, I love the greeness of England and how one can pretty much go to London in 3 hours from most part of England.

The biggest plus side isn't the weather, it is the life style, I guess if you can find a secure job, it is probably a much nicer place to bring up a family.

Man of Honour
The difference in currency value accounts for this. A stronger £ means you pay less when spending £ in Australia, but more when spending $ in the UK.

At the moment though the Aussie dollar is at an all time high - making stuff in the UK purchased in dollars comparativley cheap, and stuff in Australia purchased in pounds very expensive. Very expensive indeed.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;19833505 said:
At the moment though the Aussie dollar is at an all time high - making stuff in the UK purchased in dollars comparativley cheap, and stuff in Australia purchased in pounds very expensive. Very expensive indeed.

A Kindle 3 purchased from Amazon USA costs me $133 before postage. A Kindle 3 purchased from Amazon UK costs me $173 before postage. I wouldn't call that "comparatively cheap." I'd call it "comparatively expensive." The most I can say is that it's a little cheaper than it used to be, but that's still not saying much.

It's true that the £ doesn't go as far in Australia as it used to, so British tourists are feeling Australia's higher prices more acutely these days. Nevertheless, the £ is still at $1.56 so they're still effectively paying less than the locals.

Back
Top Bottom