Morons.

Soldato
This might be in here somewhere, but Im not going to read 9 pages......:)

Anyway, 13 years ago I suddenly became ill and the hospital kept me in to find out what it was. While my mum was there she said to the Doctor, "He is always on the computer and must've picked up a computer virus.........". Bless her!!!

I love you mum :)

Associate
That's very true, oriental is the correct term, or just call them from where they're from. The "Asian" thing is an American thing though, I think it's literally a case of "Not black, not white, not "Native American", must be "Asian".

Actually it is a somewhat annoying British habit to label anything East of Israel as "Asian". The rest of the world is somewhat perplexed as to why the Brits do this. To the rest of the world an "Asian" is someone from the Far East. Japan, Korean, or Chinese. It is most specifically not a person from say India or Pakistan. In the rest of the world a person from India is called an "Indian" and a person from say Iraq would be called an Arab or more politely one would say "he is from the middle east."

During the race riots in Bradford years ago a friend of mine was telling me about "Asians going on a rampage". I was greatly confused when the images on TV showed Indians and Pakistani people for the most part. I kept looking for these "elusive chinese rioters", until it finally dawned on me that he was lumping everyone together.

Soldato
why is it annoying? Brits generally won't call chinese, japanese, thai asian, maybe on occaision east-asian, but rarely just asian. They call people from the closest bit of Asia asian, as Americans do, but obviously the closest bit of Asia for them is east-asia, for us it's west-asia.

Soldato
Apparently the criticism is what's classed as Asia by the USA, but I'm not sure what that has to do with what area all other people have traditionally called asia.

worldcontinentsmap.gif

Fixed
:D:p

Soldato
By rest of the world I take it you mean America?
I said particularly Asia, as in the constituents of the continent of Asia as we know it don't see themselves as one group.
I was actually justifying why we call who we do Asian and Americans do differently, but others arguments have been that East asians do not consider themselves part of the same group as India and further west asians.

Soldato
I said particularly Asia, as in the constituents of the continent of Asia as we know it don't see themselves as one group.
I was actually justifying why we call who we do Asian and Americans do differently, but others arguments have been that East asians do not consider themselves part of the same group as India and further west asians.

They are still on the same continent so they need to STFU. The Czech consider themselves to be part of "Central Europe" (Whatever the hell that is) but everyone knows they are Eastern European :D But that is a view from within this continent. Asians probably call us European and Belarussians European too.

Also my moronic story:

*On a bus travelling to South Germany for school exchange program*
Girl: *wakes up, looks out of window* "Where are we?"
Me: Belgium
Girl: Oh we must be close then.
Me: Err no.
Girl: Isnt Belgium in Germany?
Me: *facepalm* No?!?!?one
Girl: I am sure it is *calls to teacher at front of bus asks question and is throughly beaten down by teacher*
Whole Bus: "LOL"

What is even more astounding is this lass went on to do Geography at Uni and she still doesn't know where anything is in the world. Some people have obviously never ever seen a map before.

Last edited:
Soldato
Up until about three months ago, my step-mum was convinced that cyber crime was commited by aliens, and was confused that they were lowering the amount of money invested in space programs whilst cyber crime was on the increase :(

Associate
Well Ive done something that could be put in that context!

Back in my high school days, the clock in my science class must have been broken for years as it had always been stuck at 9.
One morning the time was different and I said to my mate "I swear that clock is moving!"

The classroom just happened to go quiet as i said it :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom