Morons.

Associate
A large amount of people I support don't know how to look in the start menu for installed programs. The amount of calls we get to install x application and when you look it's already installed is quite shocking. "But there's no icon on the desktop!?!?!"

Also a few years back I was working as a butcher. On Christmas eve we were closing up and a highly intoxicated fellow turned up and begged us to sell him a turkey as his wife had sent him out to buy one that morning and he had gone to the pub instead. Obviously our turkey supply was seriously dwindled with Christmas only the next day, all we had were gigantic frozen turkeys. He was delighted with this and proceeded to buy a 20lb+ frozen turkey which was supposed to be on the table about 18 hours later. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when he took that home to the missus :D

Associate
It is a particularily British thing to lump everyone east of Israel as Asians. I suppose it is not a crime, but it is a bit strange to the rest of the world. Coming from North America myself and having spent many years in continental Europe I can safely say that no one else classes people like Indians as Asians. By that logic most Russians would be Asians as well. The continent of Asia proper is to large and diverse to lump everyone together. The part that I find annoying is that it seems to stem from British laziness to even bother to try and accurately identify people. Just lump em all together slap a generic label on the lot and you instanly and neatly seperate the Brits from everyone else.

Caporegime
It is a particularily British thing to lump everyone east of Israel as Asians. I suppose it is not a crime, but it is a bit strange to the rest of the world. Coming from North America myself and having spent many years in continental Europe I can safely say that no one else classes people like Indians as Asians. By that logic most Russians would be Asians as well. The continent of Asia proper is to large and diverse to lump everyone together. The part that I find annoying is that it seems to stem from British laziness to even bother to try and accurately identify people. Just lump em all together slap a generic label on the lot and you instanly and neatly seperate the Brits from everyone else.

So people from Asia are Asians?

I'm glad we cleared that up.

Associate
So people from Asia are Asians?

I'm glad we cleared that up.

Strictly geographically speaking I couldn't agree with you more, that anyone from the continent of Asia is technically an Asian, but only Brits keep using the generalized term. Everyone else defines people by country or smaller local region.

Permabanned
Strictly geographically speaking I couldn't agree with you more, that anyone from the continent of Asia is technically an Asian, but only Brits keep using the generalized term. Everyone else defines people by country or smaller local region.

I have no idea where you're getting this from. I think the vast majority of people would agree that classifying people by their continent is more of an American thing.

Associate
I have no idea where you're getting this from. I think the vast majority of people would agree that classifying people by their continent is more of an American thing.

Lets put it this way. Next time your on vacation in the States or Canada ask a few random people what they consider as "Asian" and they will almost all point to the nearest Chinese person, and not any swarthy person from the middle east or India. Try it is here in NL and it will be the same. Germany is no different. Try it in England and all sorts of people will get pointed out. Again it is no crime, but just a strange British quirk. On a bad day I suspect this habit come from laziness, on a good day it could be that it stems from Britian having once ruled large parts of our planet, and such sweeping generalizations came into common use.

Permabanned
Lets put it this way. Next time your on vacation in the States or Canada ask a few random people what they consider as "Asian" and they will almost all point to the nearest Chinese person, and not any swarthy person from the middle east or India. Try it is here in NL and it will be the same. Germany is no different. Try it in England and all sorts of people will get pointed out. Again it is no crime, but just a strange British quirk. On a bad day I suspect this habit come from laziness, on a good day it could be that it stems from Britian having once ruled large parts of our planet, and such sweeping generalizations came into common use.

But Middle Eastern isn't Asia? Asia is a continent, India and Pakistan are within the continent of Asia. How is it lazy? Chinese/Japanese/Oriental are Oriental and generally don't seem to appreciate being called Asian. But "Oriental" is simply "Far East" or rather "Far East Asia".

Associate
A girl described me as living in a double decker house, she meant two story.

On Radio 1, they had a similar discussion where people text in their past stupid beliefs.

One person believed that the yellow rumble strips when you arrive at a roundabout on a dual carriage way, was there to warn blind people that there's a roundabout ahead. Genius.

Soldato
Coming from North America myself and having spent many years in continental Europe I can safely say that no one else classes people like Indians as Asians. The part that I find annoying is that it seems to stem from British laziness to even bother to try and accurately identify people. Just lump em all together slap a generic label on the lot and you instanly and neatly seperate the Brits from everyone else.

You mean like how North Americans say "I just love your British accent"?

Associate
You mean like how North Americans say "I just love your British accent"?

Touche :) How right you are indeed. I guess we are all guilty of generalizing and stereotyping. I just came back from visiting my family in rural Canada and was made acutely aware of how some ways of thinking die hard.

Associate
In an operating theatre just before they were about to start, the scrub nurse said to me

"Pass me that syringe"

the only thing on the trolley was a needle

ME: "er what size syringe do u want theres none here i'll look in the draw for one"

HIM: "just pass me that one on the trolley"

ME: ":confused:err thats a needle"

HIM: "NO ITS A SYRINGE!"

very puzzled give it to him, then complains to the other nurse there this syringe doesnt fit.. in which she says "thats a needle"

HIM: "oh well whatever same thing"

Soldato
I've just been out to set up a wireless network for someone only to find out they have thrown out the Virgin modem as they truly believed that you did not need it.

I tried to explain it to them that this was the source of internet into their house and the router I was providing would then enable the laptops etc to have internet access without being wired to the router/modem.

She just kept saying "Yeah I know but I want it wireless". It then repeated what I had said previously about the modem beign the source of internet to the house and went as far as trying to use the electricity meter in the house as a source for the property which is then distributed about the house. The reply - "Yeah but electricity isn't wireless"

My reply - here is my bill for the aborted visit, give me a phone when Virgin have sorted your new modem out.

Last edited:
Soldato
A lady reversed into the other half's car the other day. The lady wanted to pay cash for the damage, so I took the car to a couple of repair places. I asked for a quote to be posted to me. One company had taken quite a while to get a quote out to me, so I rang them to enquire how long it would be. Here's the response.

"Oh, you want it in written writing then mate? Will do"

Outstanding :D:D

Associate
Asians in my book are Chinese/Japanese looking people. People from Pakistan etc I call Arabs. I go by race. I don't care if it's not accurate, I just much prefer it to the common trend of Asians meaning eveyone East of Israel as it's annoying when I'm picturing a Chinese guy when someone is really going on about some Pakistani guy.

Back
Top Bottom