Anywhere to buy + download movies online?

Soldato
Does anyone know of any sites where I can purchase movies online, then download them and keep them on my hard drive, DRM free?

Something like Steam, but for films. I'm fed up of sub-par torrents and rips, and would gladly pay if the price is reasonable (£10 for new releases, <£5 for older (2-3 years or more) stuff).

Just seems to me that it is the next step forward in digital distribution, and I can't really see any businesses adopting this model.

Edit: Or even some sort of 'rental' service where you pay £X per hour to stream an unlimited catalogue of films...

Man of Honour
Love film can stream rentals. Only about 3000 films in the system at the moment. raging from free as part of the normal subscription to about £3.49 for 24hours.

Doesn't x-Box have a film system?

Soldato
Lovefilm is the closest thing to be honest.

It's about time a decent service became available for films. A legal version of Usenet is what is needed.

Soldato
OP
Afraid I don't have an xbox or PS3.

Will take a closer look at LoveFilm and iTunes, but I agree with scott212, a legal version of Usenet is needed. I download films and I would happily pay for them if such a service was available...

Soldato
£10 is a lot for 2 hours of media if you only watch it once. A service like spotify for films would be brilliant, i would happily pay £10-20 a month for unlimited movies, or have adverts in them and watch for free. This is what voddler is trying to do, but it's invite only atm, and i'm sure if you have to live in sweden for it to work.

Permabanned
you can download on private tracker sites with a invite if ya ask me for 1 i will send you a invite or 2. :) invites sent hope you enjoy it folks.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
you can download on private tracker sites with a invite if ya ask me for 1 i will send you a invite or 2. :) invites sent hope you enjoy it folks.

No discussion of that is allowed here, sorry.

Keeping an eye on Voddler too. I would also pay £10-20 for unlimited viewings per month, but I don't think that would happen. I'm surprised Spotify manages it, but I think they have an opt-out system for artists.

And Moses99p - convenience. I have to wait for delivery, or pop down to the shops. Sometimes I'm just in the mood to watch something, I can download a 700mb rip in under an hour normally, and I'm sure that my connection would be sufficient enough for streaming too...

Associate
I've been using Channel 4's on demand service a lot lately and it's pretty good, the films are of high quality and not expensive, I buy them with a prepaid credit card as it comes with purchase protection so it keeps that side of things safe and I always run my anti-virus software during any download to keep my hardware safe. iTunes is definitely worth a look as they have a massive archive to get stuck into.

Back
Top Bottom